consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a electrican coming round tomorrow to qoute for changing the consumer unit at the moment there is a big old metal box with many unused wires in it thats been there since the mid 70s it has two feeds going into it one for the on peak and one for the off peak which only supplys the immersion heater at the moment will i need one unit for both or will they need seperate units i would like to know so that i don't get duped into something i don't need. thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
If you want to keep the On/Off peak then you will probably need two CU's

Do you really need it?

If you have gas central heating now, and it heats your hot water, the immersion heater is only acting as a backup, so you may as well put it on the main board and do away with the off peak setup all together.

No i don't have gas connected to my flat only electricity so i need the off peak electricity to heat the water is it not possible to put both into the same unit then.

Sponsored Links
It's possible to do peak and off peak in the same unit but it brings some restrictions, mainly that the number of neutral bars (and hence the number of independent groups of breakers possible) in most CUs is only two (some of the biggest have three). You also need special labels to warn people to turn off all the incomers.

the flat was heated with storage heaters but i took them all out because they were useless at the mo just using plug in heaters until i can get gas connected to the flat and put a combi in just need to win the lottery and it should all be done by christmas!

Heating a house with storage heaters is bad enough, heating the place with plug in things must be costing you a fortune!

TBH, instead of paying to have the consumer unit replaced and all the remedial work it will probably include, i'd seriously be considering putting the money towards installing some proper heating instaed!

its ok we haven't had the heating on yet i just tell the girlfriend to put a jumper on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back