moving from Complex (dual) meters to single E7 meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, finall getting rid of the pricey complex metering. EDF are coming out soon to remove my 24hrs meter and fit an E7. Then sometime after that, remove my second deemed off peak meter that switches on for up to 10 hours a day. Of course I need some sort of timer for when I loose this meter. Each meter feeds a CU (the deemed off peak feeding the heating)

Currently I have two meters doing:
Deemed off peak meter/E10: Feeds Consumer Unit with underfloor heating and Immersion heater

24hrs meter:runs the CU that does everything else

I have fitted timers for the underfloor and immersion heater, I want EDF to fit a E7 meter which will provide 24hrs supply to BOTH Consumer Units. So, at 11.30pm (or whenever) the WHOLE house gets the "cheap" electric. If needed, I can then use the immersion heater on booster during the daytime.

Does this seem ok?

James
beerchug.gif

Sponsored Links
Well, sort of.

If it will be a benefit depends when you use what.
You will no longer have a few hours in the afternoon to top-up the heating but you will be able to do your washing 'cheap' after midnight.

You could have that arrangement for you immersion with the present supply if you feed it from the day rate as well.

Last edited:
Yer, the complex is way to pricey. I am paying for two standing charges and the off peak is about the same as a normal day rate on a cheap supplier. I cant switch around, I have to stay with EDF. I am told the EDF fitters can fit both CUs to the always on. Or use a Henley splitter.

Sponsored Links
Hi, finall getting rid of the pricey complex metering. EDF are coming out soon to remove my 24hrs meter and fit an E7.
Do I take it that you have worked out that it will be cost-effective to have E7, rather than just a 'standard single tariff'?

It varies slightly between suppliers but, in general, something like 33-35% of one's total electricity consumption has to be at 'cheap rate' to break even financially - less than that and E7 costs more than a standard 'single tariff'. That percentage is easy to achieve if one has storage heaters, but otherwise can be a struggle. I do not have storage heaters, but usually manage 50-55% at cheap rate, which makes my E7 very financially advantageous. However, I manage that because we are pretty 'nocturnal', most use of domestic machines (washing machines, dishwashers, dryers etc.), as well as my immersion (on a timer), being done after 00:30 (01:30 in summer, since E7 sticks with GMT).

Kind Regards, John

in general, something like 33-35% of one's total electricity consumption has to be at 'cheap rate' to break even financially - less than that and E7 costs more than a standard 'single tariff'.
If the percentage is not in ones favour it can be tweaked by installing a few powerful halogen floodlights to use during the off-peak period.

If the percentage is not in ones favour it can be tweaked by installing a few powerful halogen floodlights to use during the off-peak period.
It could be, but unless those floodlights were something one actually wanted/needed, it would hardly be to one's financial advantage to install them :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back