Economy 7 Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at getting a couple of E7 combination heaters installed in a chalet that I have just purchased. The existing 4 way CU box will need to be changed but I was wondering what is the best setup for E7 considering the CU needs to be changed anyway.

As I understand it, the DNO will supply a dual rate meter and a timeswitch from which one pair of tails will come to my new CU. This will allow me to benefit from off peak electricity for all the chalet circuits overnight.

The heaters I plan to use are combi types but I am concerned that the off peak side of the heaters will continue to run in the daytime as they go to one CU.

Can someone explain the best way to do the E7 hookup for a clean install

Sponsored Links
It depends how your meter is set up, if its just a two rate meter with contactor connected in, then all electricity at off peak is charged cheap rate, and the contactor just brings in the heaters for that period

Sometimes, you'll have two meters, one one for cheap and one for full, a consumer unit fed from each, and the cheap one only works at night

Sometimes you get weird setups, that allow you to have cheap heating for things like showers and immersions 24/7, normal supplies are charged full rate all the time, and a contactor brings in a third CU on cheap rate at night to charge up NSH, usually called 'total heat, total control' and I think it normally only happens in scotland!

There are lots of different 2rate tariff's.

It would probably be best to contact your supplier, tell them what your planning to do and ask if somebody could COME OUT and advise you on the best tariff, instead of someone in a call center trying to guess the best tariff.

Suppliers have people who's job it is to come out and advise on the best tariff for your needs and the visit is usually free.

You'll then know that you have a tariff that works with storage heaters and how they would be setup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back