Off peak/standard electric meter question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a (most likely) stupid question about wiring with regads to a new house I am buying. Basically it has 2 meters - an off peak and standard meter, and I am going to be removing all the night storage heaters and installing central heating.

EDF have told me that the only option is to remove the off peak heater and then re-wire the now dead cables into the standard meter so I can turn the cables that previously fed into the heaters into sockets etc.

Is this the simple answer? I have read that you can have the offpeak meter converted and just give them both meter readings for them to calculate the bill but EDF have told me they do not do that.

An advice would be gratefully received! Thanks.

Ed

Sponsored Links
EDF have told you correctly.

Stop the off peak and so change tariff.

You will then need an electrician to connect the off peak board onto the 24-hour supply. He may insist that the old board that serves the off peak points should be updated to meet the new wiring regulations, so it may just not be worth doing.

Partly correct.

You need to get the off peak board connected to the peak supply by a sparky. If the meter operator came to remove the off peak metering, they would usually just leave the old tails from the off peak board hanging and not connected to anything (a cup of tea may help...).

Your supplier may not send out a meter operator to remove the old meter - they may just ask you for both readings to carry on billing. This usually happens with dual rate meters.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for clearing it up! I'll have a word with an electrician to see how much he wil charge. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back