Smart meter / off-peak electricity question

I'm not bashing landlords
Plenty are :(
Individuals funding the ownership of the assets via BTL mortgages doesn't work
Actually it does - provided you get things right.
the assets should be owned by companies who can take a much more long term view in their ROI calculations
Really ? I think there are many "small landlords" like myself taking a long term view - my plan is that when I get the mortgages paid off, then the rent is part of my pension.
Also, from memory, a lot of the complaints about "poor quality" rented properties are from some of the larger landlords where it's a company etc. Of course, there are the larger "institutional" landlords - fine for those that can afford to rent the swish "fully serviced" apartments springing up in big blocks in the cities.
and who are governed by different taxation regimes.
Which are also liable to fickle changes too. For example, only recently there have been some significant changes in company taxation because (from HMRC PoV) too many people were incorporating their businesses and they were losing out on tax.

Sponsored Links
* (In the UK, this isn't Greece) Name one other business type where interest on a business loan is not considered a cost to be deducted before calculating profits.

That's an easy one.

Let's suppose you're a plumber approaching retirement. You decide to invest to increase your wealth and to provide for your old age. You like the idea of borrowing money to invest.

You consider buying shares in a company that makes drains and boilers.

If you borrow money to buy shares, are you allowed to deduct the cost of the interest off the dividends you receive, or the capital gains you make, before calculating the tax due? No, you're not.

Name one other investment by the man in the street where he can deduct the cost of interest paid on loans to buy the thing he's investing in.

Sponsored Links
It's an investment by the man in the street hoping to make income and/or capital gains out of it.

Whereas renting out a house is, er....
an investment by the man in the street hoping to make income and/or capital gains out of it.

Name one other investment by the man in the street where he can deduct the cost of interest paid on loans to buy the thing he's investing in.
Are you limiting investment to financial speculation?

What about buying a taxi or a van for your employee.

What about buying gold bullion as an investment, hoping to make money out of it?

It's an investment by the man in the street hoping to make income and/or capital gains out of it.
It's still not a business expense.

Although, I wouldn't be surprise to hear that banks or hedge funds could do that.

What about an investment by the man in the street hoping to make income and/or capital gains out of it?

How do house prices today compare with house prices 20 years ago (thinking of a plumber retiring at 65 and dying at 85)?

How about rents?

An investment? Or do you think they have dropped, like the value of your 20-year old fiat van, which is now a pile of rust, and was not an investment, but a tool?

Do you think BTL investors go into it to make income and gains?

Of course they do.

I think the point is that, if you consider it a business - you, apparently don't, then you will be liable for income tax and capital gains tax and therefore it should be treated as any other business expense.

Unless, of course, along with this tax change, IT and CGT is also removed. Yeah right.

I think I am right in saying that the tax change only applies to individual British landlords - not corporate or foreign ones. It would therefore seem somewhat unfair and, quite frankly, a puzzle why it is being introduced.
A cynic may think it is to put off small landlords so that the corporate ones can buy the property.

Once upon a time, a political party noticed that homeowners voted their way, and tenants voted for the other lot.

At the time, many tenants lived in social housing, which at the time was called "council houses" and they tended to be built and maintained to higher standards than private homes of comparable size, and could be had for modest rents.

In order to strengthen their hold on power, this party (let's call it the Con Men Party) had the idea of forcing the owners of this social housing to sell it, for less than its value, to the tenants. This would increase the number of homeowners, reduce the number of tenants, and thus increase the number of Conned voters. To maintain this hold, the owners of the social housing would not be allowed to use the receipts from sale to build new homes.

In some cases, the Con Men committed crimes to get rid of poor tenants and bring in prosperous owners. When caught, some of them ran away to foreign countries with no extradition treaty, or pretended to have given away all their money so they couldn't be made to pay fines and surcharges, and didn't emerge from hiding until they were so old they thought their Con Man friends wouldn't send them to prison.

For a time, this scheme worked well. The Con Men Party got lots of votes from the happy ex-tenants who had been able to buy well-built and well-maintained homes for less than they were worth. Only the people still needing social housing were unhappy, but they wouldn't have voted for the Con Men anyway, so who cares?

Eventually, many of these former Social Housing homes became owned by private investors, who were very pleased to see that asset price inflation pushed up the value of their investments, and the deliberate prevention of new housebuilding pushed up rents for people needing homes.

Later still the sons and daughters of people who had once been tenants found they couldn't afford to buy houses, and there was no social housing to be had. So they lived with their parents into middle age, or lived in nasty, run-down accommodation, or sometimes slums and barracks called HMOs. If they had enough money, they paid high rents.

Slowly, the Con Men Party became aware that there was a growing underclass of people with poor and expensive housing. These disgruntled people could sometimes be fobbed off by telling them that the reason for scarce housing was due to little green men from Mars, who had landed their spaceships in Britain and seized all the houses. The deliberate prevention of housebuilding was hushed up, and the reason social housing had disappeared was almost forgotten.

However, these numbers of these young unfortunates slowly grew. They were tenants, not homeowners, and apart from the very stupid ones, they started to blame the Con Men Party, and didn't vote for it.

The Con Men Party has always known which side their bread is buttered on. They didn't want the young unfortunates voting for someone else. They began to think they might have been overly generous to private landlords, and started to make the BTL trade more controlled and less profitable. They started to say that even people who were young, or poor, ought to have decent housing.

Surprisingly, the Con Men Party is in power now, and wants to stay that way.

Do you think it will want to tilt the scales in favour of the large number of young unfortunates who can't buy a home, or rent a decent one? And reduce the popularity and profitability of BTL?

I think it will.

John - you are missing something important - even those who haven't benefited from the forced sale of social housing want the situation you describe. They also want old people to die through insufficient funding of social care, they want children to die through insufficient funding of protection services, they want disabled people to die through insufficient funding of the benefits they need, and so on. The list of people who they want to suffer and to die grows longer by the day, and they want all that to happen so that people far richer than them can get richer still.

Last edited:
Has there ever been a feature on Watchdog or a programme about Rouge Tenants?
Is there a significant number who apply makeup to their cheeks? Even if there is, are these people problematic because of their use of cosmetics?

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back