Storage heaters using on peak suppli

I recently had the fuse replaced with the miniature circuit breaker because I had two fuses which blew while I was in the shower.
Fuses don't do that for no reason, and replacing them with MCBs does not fix whatever the reason was.

What was the rating of the old fuse, what is the rating of the new MCB, what is the rating of the shower, what is the size of the cable, who swapped the fuse for an MCB and did you get a certificate for it?

Sponsored Links
Haha, things are never simple. I checked last night and the neon indicator doesn't work at all, day or night. The other storage heater that we do use doesn't have a neon indicator. However it definitely charges up using on peak and off peak supply day so I will contact NPower againand see if they can help. The call centre aren't too good. Last time they said it isn't their responsibility as the meter is working fine.

I recently had the fuse replaced with the miniature circuit breaker because I had two fuses which blew while I was in the shower.
Fuses don't do that for no reason, and replacing them with MCBs does not fix whatever the reason was.

What was the rating of the old fuse, what is the rating of the new MCB, what is the rating of the shower, what is the size of the cable, who swapped the fuse for an MCB and did you get a certificate for it?

When I moved into the flat the old fuse was 40amp and there was an old electric shower. The old shower eventually stopped working and was replaced with a brand new electric shower. I had two 40 amp fuses which blew and I was advised that the fuse wasn't suitable for my new recently purchased 8.5 kW electric shower. When I purchased the shower I was advised that this 8.5kW was the most powerful shower I could purchase without having to change the cables (that may give you an idea of the cable size) After replacing the fuse 40 amp twice I was advised that it would be best to fit a MCB which is 240v. This was done professionally and there have been no problems since. It's never tripped.

Anna

Haha, things are never simple. I checked last night and the neon indicator doesn't work at all, day or night. The other storage heater that we do use doesn't have a neon indicator. However it definitely charges up using on peak and off peak supply day so I will contact NPower againand see if they can help. The call centre aren't too good. Last time they said it isn't their responsibility as the meter is working fine.
Your consumer units look like they might be much older than the electronic meter and tele-switch. Maybe they replaced the old mechanical 'Economy 7' meter and didn't connect the storage heater consumer unit to the switched output.

Sponsored Links
When I moved into the flat the old fuse was 40amp and there was an old electric shower. The old shower eventually stopped working and was replaced with a brand new electric shower. I had two 40 amp fuses which blew and I was advised that the fuse wasn't suitable for my new recently purchased 8.5 kW electric shower.
An 8.5kW shower will draw 35A. That won't cause a 40A fuse to blow.

When I purchased the shower I was advised that this 8.5kW was the most powerful shower I could purchase without having to change the cables (that may give you an idea of the cable size)
Depends how it's installed - could be 4mm² or 6mm².

After replacing the fuse 40 amp twice I was advised that it would be best to fit a MCB which is 240v.
240V is not the current rating of the MCB - that will be in amps.

This was done professionally
So you will have a certificate for it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back