Off-peak supply not turning on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My wife has a small flat which has been unoccupied for a while. Someone recently moved in and they have told us that the night storage heater is not coming on (storing energy) and the water is not heating unless the “boost” control is used; the water heater and storage heater are on a separate consumer unit from the rest of the flat.

Am I right in thinking that if the electricity supply (changed by the occupier) is on a single tariff rate rather than a dual (off-peak) rate the off-peak system will not work?

Thanks in advance.

Harry.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking that if the electricity supply (changed by the occupier) is on a single tariff rate rather than a dual (off-peak) rate the off-peak system will not work?
That depends on what was done when it was changed to a single rate.
If it involved a new meter, then very likely the consumer unit for the storage heaters and water wasn't connected to anything, and therefore will never work.

That depends on what was done when it was changed to a single rate.
If it involved a new meter, then very likely the consumer unit for the storage heaters and water wasn't connected to anything, and therefore will never work.
Pretty sure the meter wasn’t replaced, the meter was only installed about 9 months ago (the previous one was reading at 175% )

Sponsored Links
Flats often use contacters to avoid running two supplies from the meter cupboard to each flat. The contacter signals the storage heater circuits to come on when the meter changes to off peak.

If there is a contactor, then there’s a few things to check here. There’s usually a small circuit to power the contactor, make sure this is still on. Also make sure the contactor itself is working correctly, and that the signal from the meter is actually making its way up into the flat.

Pic of the consumer unit in the flat, and the metering arrangement would allow further comment.

Flats often use contacters to avoid running two supplies from the meter cupboard to each flat. The contacter signals the storage heater circuits to come on when the meter changes to off peak.

If there is a contactor, then there’s a few things to check here. There’s usually a small circuit to power the contactor, make sure this is still on. Also make sure the contactor itself is working correctly, and that the signal from the meter is actually making its way up into the flat.

Pic of the consumer unit in the flat, and the metering arrangement would allow further comment.
Thanks for the reply. Each flat has it’s own meter cupboard (photo attached) the first photo shows the cupboard as it was originally, the second one shows the replacement meter which replaced the time switch and meter (I don’t have a photo of the cupboard after the meter change).

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the reply. Each flat has it’s own meter cupboard (photo attached) the first photo shows the cupboard as it was originally, the second one shows the replacement meter which replaced the time switch and meter (I don’t have a photo of the cupboard after the meter change).
It looks like there is no cheap rate connection, but need this to comment further:
a photo of the cupboard after the meter change

Separate supplies to the flat in the first pic then so no contractor.

As already mentioned, need the full shot following meter change to see what’s happening with those connections at the bottom right.

the first photo shows the cupboard as it was originally

The black box highlighted in blue is what used to switch the storage heaters.
The wire highlighted in yellow was the supply to those heaters.

The new meter appears to have 5 wires connected - if that heater supply is one of them, then either:
the consumer unit for the heaters is switched off (solution - switch it on)
or the meter is not switching the output (solution - contact energy supplier as meter isn't configured correctly)

where_wire.jpg

Energy supplier has been contacted as the system didn’t switch last night. Thanks to all who replied!

If the flat had a duel rate meter previously then if the replacement is a 'smart' meter then the people who fitted it have fitted the wrong type - they should have fitted a '5 lead' meter (according to the last fitter who didn't fit a meter in my house because he didn't the right meter with him).

I also had the guy who came to fit meter refuse, saying job came on phone not tablet as reason, and it seems like wrong meter brought with him.

I know there are AMI and AMR meters, but it seems there are more than one AMI types.

If the flat had a duel rate meter previously then if the replacement is a 'smart' meter then the people who fitted it have fitted the wrong type - they should have fitted a '5 lead' meter (according to the last fitter who didn't fit a meter in my house because he didn't the right meter with him).
The new meter does have 5 connexions and one looks red but without a wider picture we can't tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back