Replace FCU with standard socket for off peak electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Slightly long story short..
I'm on eco7 and used to have 2 storage heaters in my 1 bed flat.
I removed the storage heaters and I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the FCU that they were connected to with just a standard socket so I can make use of my night time tariff by connecting a
2KW oil heater in the off peak circuit.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That would mean that your oil heater would only heat up at night time, when you don’t need the heat. Is that what you want?

Sponsored Links
I'm on eco7 and used to have 2 storage heaters in my 1 bed flat.
I removed the storage heaters
Unless you use a substantial amount of electricity overnight, remaining on E7 or similar is likely to cost you more, as the daytime units on E7 are typically priced higher than a single rate tariff.

Yea. I would like a socket that is connected to the off peak supply. So anything I plug into this socket will make use of the night time tariff at night.
I also have a dehumidifier that I tend to leave on all night in the winter

Unless you use a substantial amount of electricity overnight, remaining on E7 or similar is likely to cost you more, as the daytime units on E7 are typically priced higher than a single rate tariff.
I've done the calculations and it's about 10 quid more per month with the higher daytime electricity price. (Compared if I was on single tariff)
I would have to replace the eco7 meter for a single tariff one and the energy company quoted 120 quid.
I have a 220W dehumidifier I usually leave on all night in the winter. So I would be saving about 7 quid per month if it's plugged into the night time socket. Maybe it is indeed a bit too much hassle for not massive saving

I would have to replace the eco7 meter for a single tariff one and the energy company quoted 120 quid.
No, the supplier just takes both readings and bills them at the same rate.
Even if a new meter was required, you don't pay for it, they do.

No, the supplier just takes both readings and bills them at the same rate.
Even if a new meter was required, you don't pay for it, they do.
They told me I can't move to the single tariff unless I change the meter for 120 quid... that's bulb energy...
I'll call them again on Monday to ask again.

Thanks

They told me I can't move to the single tariff unless I change the meter for 120 quid... that's bulb energy...
I'll call them again on Monday to ask again.

Thanks
First of all you are at liberty to change tarriff FOC, however if you are on a fixed tariff there may be some clause in the specific contract you have.

Consider carefully what useage you may have overnight, if you manage it carefully it may still be viable to stay on E7 however it's unlikely if you are now using peak rate for heating.

Please show photos of your meters, timeswitch, consumer units and the cables and other devices around them.

It is quite common, if you have off peak, for all night time electrucity to be charged at the lower rate, not just the storage heaters.

The terms of your tariff should say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back