Old ladies E7 & meter change?

Sponsored Links
I am sure you know better than I exactly what the meters are capable of doing so choose one function and think of how it would be of use to the government.

I have in mind limiting the usage at certain times by variable rates and if necessary, instead of blanket power cuts, timed cuts to different premises in each location.

Then, of course, on the other hand there is the recouping of fuel duty when 'everyone' has EVs by charging hugely more for charging cars.
I'm with EFLI here.

The Govt know full well the Grid cannot cope with every household charging their EV overnight so have to introduce some form of remote control.

I dread to think how much it's going to cost to "tax" an EB when nearly everyone has one (it sure as heck won't be £0 any more!).

And the fuel cost per mile will creep up, too.

Planning to keep our Honda Diesel for the next 30 years and start running it on veg oil.......560,000 miles here we come!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Boiler 18 kW so 18/4 = 4.5 kW not quite right as only runs for around 20 minutes and 7 days in a week so 4 times a week, but just approx.
Oh, I thought you were talking about a 3 kW immersion. In that case, as I said, your 4.5 kWh per day is similar to my Summer-time water heating consumption.

However, if you were talking about a (presumably gas) boiler, why did you merely say that 4.5 kW/day equated to "less than £1 per day", when I imagine it would probably be costing you appreciably less than 20p per day?

Kind Regards, John

I'm with EFLI here. The Govt know full well the Grid cannot cope with every household charging their EV overnight so have to introduce some form of remote control.
Unless some other major changes happen concurrently, increasing EV charging will obviously increase total electricity demand. With current generating capabilities, there is limited scope for accommodating a lot of increased daytime demand, leaving 'overnight charging' as the greatest hope. With everyone being encouraged (and eventually forced) to change to EVs, if we reach the point at which demand exceeds generating capacity, then no amount of 'remote control' would solve that problem, even if the capabilities of current 'smart' meters could achieve it
I dread to think how much it's going to cost to "tax" an EB when nearly everyone has one (it sure as heck won't be £0 any more!). ... And the fuel cost per mile will creep up, too.
As I've said, one of the possibilities is that the "vehicle tax" will be abolished, and rolled into some 'charge per mile tax' which will also include the equivalent of the current fuel duty. Those currently driving EVs are having a honeymoon (ultimately being effectively subsidised by non-EV drivers and/or tax payers in general), which cannot reasonably be expected to last. I would imagine that it's only the technological barriers which has prevented the government imposing an 'EV charging tax' (to replace fuel duty) so far!

Kind Regards, John

As I've said, one of the possibilities is that the "vehicle tax" will be abolished, and rolled into some 'charge per mile tax' which will also include the equivalent of the current fuel duty. Those currently driving EVs are having a honeymoon (ultimately being effectively subsidised by non-EV drivers and/or tax payers in general), which cannot reasonably be expected to last. I would imagine that it's only the technological barriers which has prevented the government imposing an 'EV charging tax' (to replace fuel duty) so far!

No it's to encourage everyone to switch to EV's to achieve the governments green aims. Once green is achieved, then the taxing will begin.

However, if you were talking about a (presumably gas) boiler
no it is oil, so no real way to know how much oil used.
The Govt know full well the Grid cannot cope with every household charging their EV overnight so have to introduce some form of remote control.
They already have, all new EV charging points can be remotely switched off, this is nothing to do with Smart meters.

no it is oil, so no real way to know how much oil used.

They already have, all new EV charging points can be remotely switched off, this is nothing to do with Smart meters.

Except Smart meters are capable of reporting back to base, your instantaneous consumption.

Except Smart meters are capable of reporting back to base, your instantaneous consumption.
Yes, but they haven't got a clue as to what is responsible for that consumption and, in any event, the only thing they (current 'smart' meters) could theoretically do in response to that information would be to switch off the entire installation.

As has been implied, what we need, if anything, are 'smart' EV chargers, not (the present manifestation of) 'smart' meters.

Kind Regards, John

I think the UK should implement this:

However I cannot see it happening on our ancient roads esp those in the north.
The UK government cannot even sort out our sewerage so electric waggons will never happen.

Yes, but they haven't got a clue as to what is responsible for that consumption and, in any event, the only thing they (current 'smart' meters) could theoretically do in response to that information would be to switch off the entire installation.

Tied up to your EV charge information, they could tell the EV charger to switch off or reduce it's charge rate for a while..

You’ve answered your own thoughts. These people are “meter changers” with little training and low pay not engineers.

It is so wrong to con elderly people to having smart meters they don’t understand.
I agree, the guy who changed mine was close to refusing to change the gas meter a it was losing pressure. He said it was just in the permissable range so changed it. After he changed the meter there was no pressure loss as it was the conecton to the meter that was leaking (I just hope it was on the input side so I was not paying for the gas).
What does concern me is that he was going to walk away leaving a leak, he made no attempt to find the leak or to phone someone who could. Maybe part of the "training" should say that explosions caused by leaking gas are rather nasty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back