E7 meter change question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so this might be more of a consumer question but...

I had gas central heating installed back in December 2012. I contacted npower (my then supplier) and asked to be changed from E7 to a dual fuel gas/electricity tariff.

They initially stated they needed to change the meter to a single tariff one but after a but of arguing they agreed they didn't and that the reading could just be taken from adding the day & night. I'd thought this was the standard case and can't see why I should need to change my meter just to change tariffs?

Anyway, npower haven't bothered to change my tariff as I asked and due to their ongoing crapness i've changed to EDF. I specifically requested a dual fuel (gas/elec) tariff with EDF but it seems when I changed as I had to give them a day/night meter reading they have automatically put me back on E7 again. I've rung them up and they've offered me the "free meter change" but said that I must have E7 until they can get out to change my meter (around a month they say). I still can't see that it's necessary to change it just because I want to leave E7. EDF said that as a company they wouldn't be able to bill me properly with a E7 meter as their billing "didn't work that way". :rolleyes:

So anyway, my question is: does my E7 meter have to be changed to go on to a regular electricity tariff (i'm sure it never used to but maybe things have changed), or is the answer basically "no" but the electricity suppliers can make up the rules as they want - so I just have to find one that doesn't or agree pay for the E7 tariff until they change it?

Sponsored Links
but after a but of arguing they agreed they didn't and that the reading could just be taken from adding the day & night.
I am surprised by that.

I've rung them up and they've offered me the "free meter change" but said that I must have E7 until they can get out to change my meter (around a month they say).
What else can you do, then?

I still can't see that it's necessary to change it just because I want to leave E7. EDF said that as a company they wouldn't be able to bill me properly with a E7 meter as their billing "didn't work that way".
I wouldn't think it would.
Someone would have to work out your bill individually.

So anyway, my question is: does my E7 meter have to be changed to go on to a regular electricity tariff (i'm sure it never used to but maybe things have changed),
Even if it doesn't have to be changed it would need to be disconnected.

or is the answer basically "no" but the electricity suppliers can make up the rules as they want - so I just have to find one that doesn't or agree pay for the E7 tariff until they change it?
It won't be that much extra if you don't use the storage heaters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back