E7 heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been out tonight to a rental flat where the tenant keeps complaining that the E7 storage heaters don't come on and they have to keep adjusting the time switches.

It seems some work has been done in the 'meter cupboard' a couple of weeks ago where all 56 [peak & off peak x 28] meters live. It looks like the heaters were on a permanent supply and the time switches on each heater did the switching, however now the supply is being switched in the cupboard so the time switches stop for many hours a day.

I've simply rewired the heaters to take the timeswitches out of circuit [no facility to leave them permanently on].

But the funny thing is other flats on the contactor don't seem to have the same problem.

I've not seen the arrangement before where a 3ph contactor is fed directly off the company fuses and each switched phase feeds 2 or 3 flats, so each contactor feed off peak to up to 8 flats. Peak supplies are fed 2 meters per fuse.

Sponsored Links
This is the approximate arrangement, really messy and takes up far too much space. I've shown all the neutrals going back to cutout but there are a number of Henley blocks in there too. This is repeated to supply 28 flats plus a 3ph dual rate landlords meter.
upload_2020-2-29_13-31-31.png

I've never seen the contactor directly off the cutout before, is this unusual?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back