Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am exchanging my consumer unit for a more modern 12 way split load. My only problem is where to put the \\\"busbar\\\". Do I insert into all the fuses or just do the RCB ones.

Sponsored Links
How will you test it?
how will you get it certificated?
how do you know what you think is right is right?

I am sorry but if you have to ask that, i stongly recomend you call an electrician

without seeing it, be aware that the internals of different models of CU differ. The makers in structions are definitive, but in a split load box I'd expect to see two short busses, one linking all the non-RCD stuff to the main switch, and one linking the RCD protected stuff to the RCD.
BUT, I'd expect you to check this before starting the job, and consult with either the makers, or an electrician familiar with that model.
And, as others have noted, you should be checking the wiring you are connecting in to it , for earth continuity and insulation resistance at least, and ideally ring main integrity as applicable too.
regards M.

Sponsored Links
If your unsure dont touch it.

You may also require earthing & tails to be upgraded. Do the right thing call the sparks. The split load CU are normally complete and not a jigsaw puzzle, also busbar should be covered for protection. Sounds like u might have been sold a duffer

If your unsure dont touch it.

You may also require earthing & tails to be upgraded. Do the right thing call the sparks. The split load CU are normally complete and not a jigsaw puzzle, also busbar should be covered for protection. Sounds like u might have been sold a duffer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back