Consumer unit

If you fit a dual RCD board then you are basically saying "I'm going to pretend to worry about the inconvenience RCD trips cause but not really do much about it" and/or "i'm doing this on the cheap but the powers that be don't like single RCD boards anymore"

What you are fitting may be more cost effective for the customer and hence getting the work. This set up complies and there is nothing wrong with it.

If you fit a board full of RCBOs but keep one ring for each floor you are basically saying "I've done the best I can to minimize inconvenience without resorting to installing new circuits".

Better option but passably losing the work as some one else has given a cheaper quote installing a compliant dual RCD board.

If you fit a board full of RCBOs AND fit dedicated circuits for stuff where loss of power would be particularly inconvenient you are saying "i've taken as many steps as reasonablly possible to reduce the inconviniance of RCD trips"

And again possibly losing work due to cost.

If you fit MICC and SRCDs and don't have RCDs/RCBOs at the CU at all you are saying "i'm going to have the best and damn the cost"

Basically not getting any work what so ever due to ridiculously high quotations.

At the end of the day the install has to be agreed with the customer in regards to cost and preference. To say that you don't give a damn about inconvenience in case of an earth leakage fault occurs on a dual RCD board is nonsense. As long as the customer has been given the relevant compliant options then its the customers choice not the installers.

Sponsored Links
There is absoloutely no place what so ever for a dual RCD board in a commercial environment.

I expect we will see them as domestic installers have a go at bits of commercial work, and don't know any other type of CU or when and where RCDs are actually required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back