Moisture / Condensation proof consumer units

Don't forget it says "within domestic (household) premises".

I doubt the London Fire Brigade has a lot of dealings with cowsheds.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget it says "within domestic (household) premises". I doubt the London Fire Brigade has a lot of dealings with cowsheds.
I think we have all agreed, from the start, that the regulation in question does not apply to 'commercial' cow sheds.

However, as I said, I have never been sure whether or not the reg was meant to apply to 'normal' domestic outhouses (sheds, summerhouses, workshops etc.) - and I suppose the dictionary definition BAS has found might strengthen the suggestion that it is meant to.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose the dictionary definition BAS has found might strengthen the suggestion that it is meant to.
That depends how you read it.

upload_2017-10-16_22-50-25.png

Does that not mean 'premises' only applies to buildings occupied by a business?

However, this definition is clearer and does state out buildings are included.

upload_2017-10-16_22-53-51.png

Although - that does not mean it was the intention as per my comment about the London FB and cowsheds and also the wording of domestic (household) premises.
Would the (household) insertion exempt sheds?

Sponsored Links
That depends how you read it. ... Does that not mean 'premises' only applies to buildings occupied by a business?
I initially thought that, and therefore wondered whether "domestic premises" was an oxymoron, therefore invalidating the regulation in question.

However, since that would make no sense, I then noticed the last bit of that definition, which says "... OR considered in an official context" and suspected that we were talking about an 'official context', which would therefore include domestic.
Would the (household) insertion exempt sheds?
I wondered about that, too, but haven't got a clue as to what, if anything, is the effect of qualifying "domestic" with "(household)". My inclination would be to say that, when describing premises, the two words would usually be interchangeable, so that nothing would be changed by qualifying one with the other.

Kind Regards, John

It does indeed. As long as BS 7671 is not an official document.
As I've just written, that would make no sense of the regulation, which is why I concluded that this must be regarded as an "official context" - since, given that "domestic premises" could not exist, the regulation we are discussing could not apply to any installation.

More generally, the phrase "domestic premises" seems to be in very widespread use, so I wonder whether the dictionary definition you have found actually reflects the generally accepted meaning of the word?

Kind Regards, John

Ok. To both of you. What about household? ...
That sounds about right, - but, when used as a 'modifier' as they call it (how does that differ from an adjective?) to the word "premises", does that result in a different meaning from when "premises" is qualified by "domestic"?

Kind Regards, John

Doesn't matter.

As soon as you include the word "premises" you extend the scope to the land and outbuildings

Doesn't matter. As soon as you include the word "premises" you extend the scope to the land and outbuildings
Provided that it is "in an official context". Otherwise, the presence of the word "premises" seemingly would, per the definition you're quoting, preclude it (including it's land/outbuildings) from being anything other than commercial.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back