consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked by a friend of mine to finish off a re-wire on a flat that he has been renting out, i have a good understanding of electrics and i have also my c&g 236 pt 1 under my belt but never had the time to get my part 2, any way the problem i have come across is at the consumer unit, all the new circuits are in place and the cu is a wylex 10 way split board. The problem i am having is with the lighting circuits. There are 2x 1.5 mm t&e 1x1.5mm t&e (which has two red conductors and earth) and 1 single 1.5mm red conductor and 1single 1.5mm black conductor.
Would all these be separate lighting circuits? The reason i ask is because the mcbs were already in place at the cu and there is only one 6a mcb 4x16a mcbs and 3x 32a mcbs.
Ihave sorted the power circuits out and they are all on the rcd side of the board, but cant work out as to why there is only 1 6a mcb in situ?
any ideas fellas?
thanks

Sponsored Links
What the f**k is a double red doing at the board. What numpty installed the wiring and has anyone got experience of domestic wiring.
This rings huge alarm bells.
Are you aware that this is notifiable work. The whole installation will require thorough testing BEFORE energising. If you insist on continuing with this, enlist the services of a Registered Electrician, As a landlord your friend has a duty of care.

Thanks for the reply Qedelec.
My friend is aware of part p and he will be getting a qualified spark in to test the installation before it has been energised. He asked me to help him out as the previous spark was sacked as part of the original builders, there has been a time laps of 8 months before he could get any new builders in. i too myself cant workout as to why there would be a double red at the board???? In my relativley short experience double reds are used for switch drops? The flat in question is a relativley large flat and on three levels, so, apart from the double reds, could the other circuits be lighting radials?

No wonder he was sacked. Personally, As an Approved Contractor I wouldn't go within a mile of this without carte blanc to redo anything the previous 'electrician' did. The whole installation will require proper testing before any remedial work was attempted. Your friend could be in for a heafty bill because of incompetence of the previous tradesman.
No 'expert' here would give an opinion without seeing for themselves. Contact a local sparky you can trust.

Sponsored Links
Fair point Qedelec and thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion. Would be interested to hear anybody elses view, especially regarding the circuits i have mentioned.

Qedelec said:
What the f**k is a double red doing at the board.

Could be a light fitting installed near the board and the loop in at the board, I admit I don't particulary like the idea of that and I wouldn't do it like that, but i'm not so sure it actually breaks any regs....

Adam, it doesn't break any regs that I can quote but it is extremely bad practice and I think there is a requirement for work to be carried out in accordance with best practice. Guidance Notes 1, I think.

I have been asked by a friend of mine to finish off a re-wire on a flat that he has been renting out

In my opinion, we could be reading about you next as this is all about saving money and financial gain.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=287668#287668

My friend is aware of part p and he will be getting a qualified spark in to test the installation before it has been energised

Third Party Testing. Your friend should appoint the person that is going to be testing the work before it's started not after it's been done. It's not just about a piece of paper.

He asked me to help him out as the previous spark was sacked

If the last "spark" was sacked, who knows what else he done which at the moment is out of sight. He may have even sabotage the installation after he was sacked which is not un-common.

It's quite clear there is some history behind this installation, so you freind needs to take a professional approach to his responsibilities as a landlord and do it properly.

I have to agree with the other posters. Get 'your friend' to accept that the job may need a lot of sorting out. Call in three local sparks for quotes and get it sorted out properly.

Thanks gents for all your replies. will have a chat with my mate and make him see the sense in getting some quotes in

If you've got 2360-I, and you're up for helping your mate, there's no reason why you couldn't arrange to do the donkey work under the supervision of the guy he gets in.

Good point BAS. Would be interesting to find out where them two red conductors go as mentioned in my original post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back