Consumer units and not a registered competent person

Fortunately, I couldn't give a stuff what you think.

Oh no how will I sleep at night the morality police on the internet says I'm a bad person. Get over your self :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Fortunately, I couldn't give a stuff what you think.
That doesn't surprise me one little bit - you have no respect for your customers, no respect for society, and no respect for yourself.

Oh no how will I sleep at night the morality police on the internet says I'm a bad person. Get over your self :LOL:
Yes, very funny.

But fear not - I too will not have my sleep disturbed by the fact that you are an inferior being.

You are, in some senses, a brave an honest person to say these things
"Honest"? Criminal behaviour is a routine part of his business activities. "Honest" is not a label which can be applied to him.
Not all criminal activity is about dishonesty - why cannot one be honest about one's criminal behaviour? The dishonest ones are surely those who do similar things (I'm sure he's not unique!) but pretend that they don't?

Kind Regards, John

An interesting notion.

If it were valid it would mean that anybody who went into a police station and made an unsolicited confession to a crime would escape prosecution.

Sponsored Links
An interesting notion. If it were valid it would mean that anybody who went into a police station and made an unsolicited confession to a crime would escape prosecution.
Eh? There's surely nothing about being honest about (confessing to) one's criminal acts which enables one to escape prosecution for them?

You seem to be confusing dishonesty and criminality. Although a good few criminal acts relate to dishonesty, many (including some of the most serious ones) do not necessarily involve any dishonesty.

Kind Regards, John

I guess I should not be surprised that you don't understand the concept of honesty.

screenshot_363.jpg

Dictionary definitions are all very well, but what about the language as it is spoken? What word (as an alternative to 'honest') would you use to describe a murderer who told 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' about every aspect of the murder (s)he had committed?

Despite dictionaries, I don't think many people would think of such a person as 'dishonest'.

Kind Regards, John

Dictionary definitions are all very well, but what about the language as it is spoken?
Shall we burn all the dictionaries then? Or just remove definitions which you find inconvenient.

What word (as an alternative to 'honest') would you use to describe a murderer who told 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' about every aspect of the murder (s)he had committed?
Truthful.

Despite dictionaries, I don't think many people would think of such a person as 'dishonest'.
Perhaps you should invite such people to look at the definitions of honest and have them explain how they can be applied to someone who has unlawfully deliberately killed another person.

Dictionary definitions are all very well, but what about the language as it is spoken?
You can't say that. There is a standard. Would you, being a younger person, consider your murderer 'wicked'?
I'm not sure whom I am meant to be younger than :) However, I think that most people, of most ages, would probably agree that a murderer was 'wicked' - but I'm not sure what your point is.

Language exists to enable effective communication. Do you think that I ineffectively communicated what I meant when I said that DaftPunk was being 'honest' in admitting publicly to the 'criminal' (or, at least 'wrong') things that he does?

Kind Regards, John

Shall we burn all the dictionaries then? Or just remove definitions which you find inconvenient.
No, but we should ensure that they reflect the language as spoken at the time they are written.
What word (as an alternative to 'honest') would you use to describe a murderer who told 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' about every aspect of the murder (s)he had committed?
Truthful.
As you know from your dictionaries, 'honest' has several different meanings, and one has to decide from context which meaning is intended. I would suggest that it was clear from the context that when I used the word, I used it in the sense of ('laudably') "truthful".
Perhaps you should invite such people to look at the definitions of honest and have them explain how they can be applied to someone who has unlawfully deliberately killed another person.
One could do that, particularly if one were a linguist or pedantic about language. However, one could also ask people if they understood what was meant if it were said that a murderer had been 'very honest' in talking frankly, fully and openly about their crime.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure whom I am meant to be younger than :) However, I think that most people, of most ages, would probably agree that a murderer was 'wicked' - but I'm not sure what your point is.
Youngsters think or at least regard 'wicked' as meaning 'good'.

I could have replied to DaftPunk's admission with the single word 'wicked' and some would have taken it to mean the same as your reply but that does not make it right.

Language exists to enable effective communication. Do you think that I ineffectively communicated what I meant when I said that DaftPunk was being 'honest' in admitting publicly to the 'criminal' (or, at least 'wrong') things that he does?
You may have effectively communicated your meaning, which, I presume would satisfy your reasoning.

However, it does not really seem to be the correct word unless you can be dishonesty honest.

Youngsters think or at least regard 'wicked' as meaning 'good'.
I see your point. True - but only in some contexts. Most (at last if vaguely 'educated'!) will also use the word in the traditional sense (e.g. 'wicked murderers') when appropriate. Nor can 'we' just blame the youngsters - 'we', or our predecessors, have used words like 'awful', 'terrible', 'fantastic', 'wonderful' etc. etc. in manners that have caused dictionaries to change/evolve!
You may have effectively communicated your meaning, which, I presume would satisfy your reasoning.
Indeed. Don't you agree that this is the primary purpose of language?
However, it does not really seem to be the correct word unless you can be dishonesty honest.
I don't think one can be 'dishonestly honest' but, given the many different meanings of 'honest', one can certainly be dishonest and honest (like the very truthful murderer) - I suppose that's sort-of 'honestly dishonest'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back