Consumer units and not a registered competent person

Sponsored Links
I'd rather see a safe properly installed illegal circuit rather than some of the absolute garbage lashed in and signed off by idiots who don't have the first clue what they're doing which I have to sort out on an alarmingly regular basis.

You can't honestly believe that a piece of paper that can be issued by anyone in one of the clubs regardless of how bad the job is really makes the difference between a bad or a good job.

Does anyone really believe that DaftPunk is even remotely unique in doing some of the the things he says he does - particularly breaking seals and pulling cutout fuses? AFAICS, the only fairly unique thing about him is that he was 'honest' (truthful)/ brave / silly enough to admit to these things (which, as he said, are far from uncommon in the real world) in 'public', since the consequences of that admission (as well as the main protagonist of those consequences) were totally inevitable and predictable!

Kind Regards, John

I moved a CU today for a customer and cut the suppliers seals.

My customer knows I'm not registered but like most normal people he's not bothered, and he knows my criminal activity means the job will get done without waiting for the DNO to do anything, and I'll do a good job. That's all that customers actually care about.

I'm not dishonest. I've never pretended to be registered.

Yes, who gives a toss………until there's a fire, or a fatal accident enquiry? Not your fault, until the insurance company look for a scapegoat. If you are so cocky why are you not registered ?

Never say never :eek:

Sponsored Links
I rewired my entire house with my neighbour (ex sparky) including a new consumer unit and I got someone to do an EICR and it all came back fine, no building regulations though, I posted about it on here and banallsheds got a massive hard on about it. If I was having JUST a new consumer unit put in I would have it done properly though and get the completion cert, it's not worth the hassle. In my case it was because I saved best part of £2000 not using a qualified installer and to banallsheds utter dismay my house has not burnt down yet :LOL:

Also I think he's on a bit of a crusade and has obviously bore the brunt of bad workmanship in the past which leads him to instantly castigate everyone the same way.

Interestingly, I had another part of my house rewired and signed off by a certified installer, got the certificate and it's since transpired that some of his work was substandard, and I've since had to have it re-done!!! Considering I paid well over the odds I was outraged. Yet in banallsheds backwards world he would be the competent one in the equation and not my neighbour with 40+ years as a switchgear installer all over the world with no up to date knowledge of the regs.

I'm by no means defending bad practice, but the paper work means precisely **** ALL and is not worth the paper it's printed on. It's just another tax barrier your already squeezed joe public has to delve into their pockets to find. If it was about safety IT WOULD BE ****ING FREE - WHY DO WE PAY TAXES?

My customer knows I'm not registered but like most normal people he's not bothered, and he knows my criminal activity means the job will get done without waiting for the DNO to do anything, and I'll do a good job. That's all that customers actually care about.

Yes, who gives a toss………until there's a fire, or a fatal accident enquiry? Not your fault, until the insurance company look for a scapegoat. If you are so cocky why are you not registered ?

I was worried about this but a signed EICR (done every 5 years) covers that (I've been told). After all what good is a completion cert if the fire happens years later, it's difficult for anyone to prove work hasn't been done SINCE which caused the fire. This is why logically the EICR is more relevant because it reflects the current state of the system

I'm not cocky I'm just telling the truth which seems to be massively lacking on here.

I'm not registered because it does not make financial sense. I only do a couple of notifiable jobs a year and I always explain to the customer before I start that I can't sign the work off. I've never had a customer yet have any issue with this.

I'm not cocky I'm just telling the truth which seems to be massively lacking on here.

I'm not registered because it does not make financial sense. I only do a couple of notifiable jobs a year and I always explain to the customer before I start that I can't sign the work off. I've never had a customer yet have any issue with this.
As i have said until something goes wrong. And for the record, just because you tell the customer you're not registered does not diminish your responsibility when it does go wrong. Telling the truth is not your get out of jail card.

DS

As i have said until something goes wrong. And for the record, just because you tell the customer you're not registered does not diminish your responsibility when it does go wrong. Telling the truth is not your get out of jail card.
True - but, equally, nor does being a member of a self-cert team "diminish your responsibility when it all goes wrong".

Kind Regards, John

Northern Power Grid, my DNO. says it will cost about £104 to fit an isolator switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back