consumer units...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
before i get started, i am a numb nuts when it comes to elecs...

just a quickie, i have an old-ish Hager consumer unit in the living room, and i have to replace the fuses when they blow, well.... been told by a chap at work about these mcb's... are they all standard length/width and could they possibly fit in the consumer unit that i have?!?!

I dont know the exact consumer unit as the previous owners of the house have painted over it (accept the transparent cover).

Sponsored Links
is it that exact version of fuse carrier? if so, there is no problem replacing them with MCBs (((EDIT subject to appropriate testing))). Might want to keep the 5amp fuses on the lighting circuits though.

PS. when a fuse blows, it indicates something is wrong with the wiring. If they are blowing too often, get the installation checked.

crafty1289 said:
is it that exact version of fuse carrier? if so, there is no problem replacing them with MCBs. Might want to keep the 5amp fuses on the lighting circuits though.

What about PSCC crafty? though some people have told me that a fuse with sufficent breaking capacity upstream will make things alright if the devices ar chosen properly, and that in a house, providing the service fuse is no more than 100A then that is meet, other people dsiagree and say all CPD must have sufficent breaking capacity, :confused:

@OP, I think your mate must have thought you had a box similar to the old wylex standard ones for which plug in mcbs are available

Sponsored Links
Subject to the EFLI being low enough, just buy some Hager MCB's, and, after isolating the main switch, carefully unclup the fuse holders off the din-rail, and clip the breakers in their place, onto the din-rail, and tighten all connections, megger them, and test the circuits accordingly, before re-energising it.

Note that the white 5amp fuses are now B6 amp MCB's, whilst blue 15amp fuses are B16 amp MCB's, and red 30amp fuses are now B32 amp MCB's.

thanks for replying... i will investigate further and let u know how i get on, i wont be doing anything until the weekend...

cheers tho'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back