Contact surface between subfloor and joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to remove portions of the existing subfloor chipboard panels (18mm depth), which now I need to replace (I already bought a new P5 panel).

The problem is that one edge of the hole is irregular, and I'm worried that parts of the new chipboard won't have sufficient resting contact with the joists to provide enough support.
Particularly around the lower-right corner in the pics, where the exposed joist surface is really thin.

What is a good strategy in these situations? I would really want to avoid removing the surrounding subfloor.
Thanks!
IMG-20200209-110613.jpg
IMG-20200209-110634.jpg

IMG-20200209-110512.jpg

Sponsored Links
why are you replacing the boards?

anyway, you dont have to land perfectly in the middle of the joists and noggins - after lifting the boards you can screw some ledgers/bearers to the joists and the noggins to pick up all the edges of the chipboards.
use screws for everything - dont use nails.

if you cut the c/boards accurately then possibly there will be no need for ledgers?

why are you replacing the boards?
Two reasons:

1) I had to cut two planks to access the area I needed. By replacing the two original pieces with a single one, I hope to increase the strength of the subflooring. Does that make sense?

2) To remove them, I had to damage the two pieces of chipwood.

if you cut the c/boards accurately then possibly there will be no need for ledgers?

Yes, that's what I hope to achieve.

anyway, you dont have to land perfectly in the middle of the joists and noggins - after lifting the boards you can screw some ledgers/bearers to the joists and the noggins to pick up all the edges of the chipboards.
use screws for everything - dont use nails.

Definitely: I hate nails, especially after the trouble endured to remove the old ones :)

Can you recommend any particular type of screw for this job? Size? Style? Material?
Thanks!

Chipboard screws. These have a countersink head and a deep full length thread.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back