Wood flooring help, please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, we have just purchased 15sq metres of Boen wood flooring. It is 15mm thick, engineered wood in 2.2 metre long, 139mm wide planks.

We have just laid a brand new chipboard subfloor on suspended timber joists. We used 18mm P5, purely because it is what we had already and the height works well with the adjoining floor.

We also bought some thin (2-3mm) white foam-style underlay, on the advice of the company that sold the flooring to us.

I was all set to glue the T&G's and nail the planks down, through the chipboard and into the joists. However, I am increasingly realising that perhaps I should lay it as a floating floor.

Boen suggest a minimum of 7mm expansion, with 1mm per metre of room width. So, for a 3.5metre square room, do I leave just 7mm? Also, would I need straps? Or can I tap it together using an off-cut of the T&G, as I have always done with chipboard?

If I do go for floating, is the underlay we bought OK?

Sponsored Links
Oh, also, in the current warm weather conditions, what is the acceptable minimum time, if any, that I should leave the wood to acclimatise before laying it?

Leave the wood in the packs for 2 - 3 days after bringing it in the room it is supposed to be installed in.
The floor has to be installed floating indeed and your underlayment is just fine for the job, as long as it doesn't contain a DPM.
You can use an offcut of the boards to gently knock the boards together, proper quality boards shouldn't give you any troubles fitting together.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back