Subfloor on celotex - choices - grateful for advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the midst of renovating rooms on the ground floor. It's an old church, with a concrete slab floor over DPM.

I'm planning on insulating the floor with 50mm celotex, and was looking at putting 18 or poss 22.5mm T&G chipboard over the top for the subfloor. 50mm with floating chipboard layer, is about the max I want to lose from room height (and I've got the Celotex).

However, reading online, that might not be optimal if we want to (ideally) lay a reclaimed solid wood floor of some description. I think it would be ok if we went engineered and presumably floated an engineered floor on the floating chipboard layer?

I did think of installing 2x2" battens instead, with 50mm celotex insulation between and laying the reclaimed floor over the battens, but that gives cold bridging and from the calculator means I'd need min 65mm celotex to achieve the right U value.

I've only bought the Celotex at this stage, and would be grateful for any advice as to the subfloor choice before I plump for chipboard? Is is as simple as a) chipboard + engineered floating floor or b) rafters, insulation between, and reclaimed or are there other options I might consider in this situation?

Thanks,
Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back