Enginneered wood floor - thickness and subfloor advice pleas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to embark on laying an engineered wood floor, and have a few questions I hope some of you may be able to advise me on.

The floor is question is over two rooms (hallway and dining room) and covers about 28 meters.
The existing floor is 18mm floating chipboard over 25mm polystyrene insulation with a DPM in between, and carpet on top. The subfloor is concrete.

I intend to remove all existing flooring down to the subfloor, replace the polystyrene with kingspan (or similar) to improve the insulation, replace the DPM and then float the engineered flooring directly on top. I want to do it this way as I don't want to increase the height of the floor.

Questions..

1) Is the method I describe acceptable?
2) There are various thickness of floor available. I know I will need at least 18mm, but would I be better off going for 21mm or 22mm?
3) Whoever layed the original concrete subfloor obviously had some very long "wet" lunches....The worst high spots I intenfdto dig out, and self level, but I don't really want to have to self level 28 meters of floor. Is there a minimum tollerance (say 2mm) for flatness in engineered floors? (incidently, I did the same for a tiled floor in the kitchen (26 meters worth) and although hard work, the result was amazing).
4) When floating a floor directly over insulation, is there a recommended direction for laying the floor...i.e. should I go parallel to windows etc..?

Many thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back