Containing loose stone (slate mulch) poured on old concete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large amount of concrete in my back garden which is cracked and looks horrible.... but not wanting to 'bite the bullet' and have it all dug up! Some of it is at different levels and there is a large amount!!

I am planning on putting slate mulch on it as a nice looking covering.

However I need some way of actually keeping it in place i.e. to go some way to stop it spreading where I dont want it.

I thought of screwing down wooden batons to the floor, this works, but doesnt look too 'sharp'.

I now have an idea of using lengths of metal 'L' shaped strips/brackets, but can't think of where I would buy what I am looking for!

They would need to be relatively corrosion free (I would lift them a few mm off the ground with plastic risers to allow drainage), and I would probably have to fit plastic edge protector on them to stop children contact with sharp edges.

Any have any ideas for metal strips..... or any other material??
Only looking for something 1-1.5cm depth, and as thin as possible so you cant see it (which is where the wood failed).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have a large amount of concrete in my back garden which is cracked and looks horrible.... but not wanting to 'bite the bullet' and have it all dug up! Some of it is at different levels and there is a large amount!!

I am planning on putting slate mulch on it as a nice looking covering.

However I need some way of actually keeping it in place i.e. to go some way to stop it spreading where I dont want it.

I thought of screwing down wooden batons to the floor, this works, but doesnt look too 'sharp'.

I now have an idea of using lengths of metal 'L' shaped strips/brackets, but can't think of where I would buy what I am looking for!

They would need to be relatively corrosion free (I would lift them a few mm off the ground with plastic risers to allow drainage), and I would probably have to fit plastic edge protector on them to stop children contact with sharp edges.

Any have any ideas for metal strips..... or any other material??
Only looking for something 1-1.5cm depth, and as thin as possible so you cant see it (which is where the wood failed).

Cheers

Any good small engineering/fabrication firm should be able to do this for you.

Measure up what you need, make a drawing up showing shape and size and take it along...
with regards to treating the metal for anti corrosion, you could see if they could get the pieces galvanised.
or alternatively, give them several coats of a suitable protective paint

I would say that metal edgings, no matter how you protect/ treat them will look very grubby quickly and be a maintainence nightmare! Hence why you dont often see them in this type of application.

Do you not fancy kerb/ edgings of some kind? Or were you wanting something different?

what about wooden sleepers round the edges and built up so that the whole area gives the impression of being flat. ie need two sleepers depth in places and only one other end etc

Sponsored Links
I would suggest say, some nice gray drive blocks bedded on mortar along the edges. eg Marshalls Tegula

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back