Contemporary Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to build a contemporary garden wall similar to the one below. wasn't sure whether it was poured concrete between sheets of ply or standard block work that's then rendered. If rendered, what's the best mix to use.As it's a retaining wall, is there anything I need to to maintain the the clean white look??

Many thanks.

MG-Melody-Lane-7-lg--gt_full_width_landscape.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks nice. Can't answer about the construction but somebody in the know will be along in a min.

However, do make sure that you own all the walls cos if the end wall belongs to a neighbour then you may not attach any part of your walls to it, and certainly not cross over any dpc. Even if it's a party wall you have to discuss it with them. good luck.

I used 9 inch hollow concrete blocks, then rendered them. As they are retaining, they needed proper footings to be dug.
I have to repaint every year.
DSCF1584.jpg

Hmmm, I'm so going to have to do this on my walls.

Quick question (half post jacking, half for the poster) If you render a retaining wall, you require proper drainage and waterproofing to prevent water ingress and the assosiated freeze/thaw action. But is there not a chance of water soaking in from the front of the wall as I assume you don't render all the way down the the foundation.

Cheers,
Sam.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I did something similar last year.

It is concrete block and rendered with k-rend.
It was fairly easy to apply - I've never done anything like this before so don't look too close - and doesn't need any maintence apart from maybe a soft jetwash. Mine didn't need anything from over winter this year.

Oh and it is built on chalk so drainage isn't an issue here.

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old post - but just wondering whether the k-rend was just one coat and from their website looks like it doesnt need painting? Is that right?

Also, don't suppose you have a rough price per m/sq for it?

Thanks very much

K-rend is one coat upto about 10-12mm. If you need a thicker coat then it is recommended to go for 2.
It is a colour through mix so doesn't require painting.
For the small quantity I needed it worked out about £10 per bag which will cover approx. 1m/sq

The instructions are HERE although there are some discrepancies between this and info on the product page. I used a single coat of 12mm (using 12mm edge beading) and didn't scrape it. It has a lovely smooth finish that doesn't show any signs of coming away from the blockwork. I think you have to use a bit of common sense as rendering a decorative garden wall and a house are not the same thing.

Absolutely.

I just want to render a couple of block piers to hang some front gates on - this seemed like the best method to get a decent finish and most straightforward - albeit slightly more expensive - but with the small amount of work to be done its not an issue.

Do builders merchants stock it? Where did you find the best place to buy it from was?

Thanks again

A local building supplier ordered it in for me.

It was Covers in Arlesford which is not too far from you either.
Their no. is 01962 738777

nice.. but that last bench doesn't look like it would hold too many drunk adults at a BBQ..?
are they shelf brackets you've used or are they more substantial than they look on the photo?

Yeah they are heavy duty shelf brackets from Wickes.
They are stronger than they look :D
They have been well and truly load tested both this and last summer.
I had them all apart recently to beef up the benches and there was nothing untoward to report.

Hi I have had this wall built in block then K rend. It is only k rend half way down inside and the drainage is just going back into the ground as built on garden.
The builder filled with soil but not enough anf I want to fill to the top and start planting. It has no membrane around inside and it is too big to take out soil. if I fill with more soil will it crack the k rend as I know k rend is water proofed.

Thank goodness for email notification :D

I only rendered the top foot or so of the inside and both inside and out has been fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back