Continental iron wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working away I came home to find My wife had bought a lightweight Cont.iron from a car boot with a two pin plug.
My son promptly cut off the plug and rewired a UK 3 pin in it's place.
Coming home I promptly put a RCD adapter in to ensure safety but;
Can you just rewire a two pin plug with it seems no earth wire to a UK pin plug safely?
Seem to remember in the old days my Mother hooking the iron up to the light socket!
Is it safe/legal to do so.
Appreciate the help if you can.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's designed without an earth then it's not required.Not unique many UK appliances are the same.

Continental? Is it rated at 240v? Personally I'd chuck it away before it fries someone. :eek:

Often the continental stuff has an earth tag, rather than an actual prong....
did the original flex have two or three cores?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the fast replies
First I won't let her put it in a light socket! and it must be rated 240V as it worked fine my wife said with a shaver socket before my sons got a hold of it!
Two wires Brown and Blue,I hooked them up and switched on,no sign of any problems it heated up ok,as it was a moulded plug Sonny boy just snipped it off so I don't know where the prongs went.
Problem is Wife has severe Rheumatoid Athritis and this iron is so light she would like to keep it.
I may ditch it but I thank you all again for the quick replies,very helpful'
Nice to know there is a place for help when needed.
Cheers
Shipwreck

Two wires means the appliance is double insulated, and will probably display the appropriate symbol somewhere which is two squares - one inside the other.
Getting more common these days, and the theory is that no metal part can come into contact in any way with anything live.
Personally, I like seeing an earth!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back