German "europlug?" wired for UK use? expert help n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I have a couple of power supplies for old computers (Commodore 64) they are power blocks, and have what I believe are "europlugs" on the end of each.

They are two round pins, which I believe from reading on this site is live and neutral, with no earth.

Could these be safely wired up to UK plugs? Just by cutting off the moulded plugs, and wiring the live and neutral to a UK plug

Is it safe with no earth?

Germany uses the same current as us - so it wouldnt blow up or anything would it?

Would be greatful for any expert help..! cheers!!

Sponsored Links
what are you going to use the power supplies for? not a comodore 64? (they may not be suitable)

Just a thought: The C64 was available years and years ago. It may be pre-harmonisation on the wiring colours... I know Germany had red as earth, not sure what live and neutral were but you should look them up just in case.

Sponsored Links
i wonder if he ever did it, seeing as it was posted in January (not as good as my gaff)

Yes I tried it, and it worked perfectly :)

Thanks for the help!

The wiring up to a UK plug, assuming there was no earth, worked correctly... and very nicely indeed :p

post now locked to prevent hi-jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back