Chinese appliance/plug for use in UK

Sponsored Links
The Chinese plug is similar to the Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Argentina, Solomon Islands, and Papua New Guinea plug although there seems to be a slight difference in pin length and thickness. As long as it's a snug fit with the adaptor no real reason not to use an adaptor with such low power no real problems.

However I have had some adaptors where the plug was not a snug fit in the main the silly German "Schuko" where often it needs the recess in the socket to hold the plug firm.

Voltage should be marked on the main part of the appliance and clearly one as already said have to check there is no power supply built into the plug.

I have also considered how to warm my camera. Damp with a sealed Pentax is not a problem but walking into a room with cold camera and having lens mist up is. I selected the click to activate crystal hand warmers as often I don't have mains power.

What however is a question is how will batteries preform when kept warm? The new NiMH battery clearly has to be above zero C to give enough output but also as temperate is increased the shelf life decreases so both over and under temperature is a problem.

In the early days of CE marking, we used to joke that it stood for "Confusion Everywhere". When EMC arrived it was referred to as "Even More Confusion"!

Sponsored Links
It is best not to use an adapter. Adapters general don't conform to any recognised standard and a shoddily made. Chinese flexible cables use the same colour coding as the UK and most of the world except the US.

Just make sure it is a plug and not a power supply.

Chinese flexible cables use the same colour coding as the UK and most of the world except the US
It is NOT safe to assume that, a cable of unknown origin used in a moulded lead had two whites and a pale pink. The pink was the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back