Smart Plug 10Amp, kettle has a 13Amp fuse is this ok?

OK.

It's even an appropriate one :mrgreen:

blind-leading-the-blind11.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK. It's even an appropriate one :mrgreen:
Thanks. However, still the same problem - so much for my 'theory'! Again, I can see it if I quote it into the reply box, or if I type its address into my browser.

Given that I can see the imagine in the DIYnot reply box, but not in the DIYnot posted message, does this not suggest that it's probably something to do with the site's software, rather than anything at my end?

Kind Regards, John

A BS standard 13 Amp plug is designed to take a lot of abuse, that's why it is imperative that they are only purchased from reputable wholesalers/shops to ensure a BS quality manufactured product. Buying on the cheap from china, a market stall, a boot sale or anywhere else could turn out to be very dangerous penny pinching saving.

Sponsored Links
Surely, if you are the only one who can't see them, the problem must be at your end.
That would certainly be a reasonable 'first conclusion'. However, as I said, if I can see it in one part of the DIYnot site but not in another, it's difficult to think of what could be causing the problem at this end.

Kind Regards, John

Logically, I don't know anything about the software, even if there is a difference between one part of the site and another, the inability to see it must be at your end.

Logically, I don't know anything about the software, even if there is a difference between one part of the site and another, the inability to see it must be at your end.
If no-one else is any longer having the same problem then, yes, I suppose one would have to reach that conclusion.

I'll try with some different browsers.

Kind Regards, John

The deal with the images is that when in the thread they are served via https://images.weserv.nl/ and when quoted they are included as the original site link.
Thanks. That presumably explains why I'm experiencing a difference, then.
If the first one can't be seen, then images.weserv.nl is being blocked by something.
That 'something' would presumably be my browser, then. I'll look into it.

Kind Regards, John

In the main I don't use the Smart socket for items like kettles, I know what a kettle uses by reading the label. More interesting with items like a dish washer where one can't really work out what each cycle uses. I find using a remote control one has to be careful, don't want to remotely switch something which could cause damage when switched on.

So many items you can't auto switch on, the hob, the battery charger, and many more need some one to press a button, so what is the point? And items like fridge or freezer I don't want any chance of them switching off.

As far as I am concerned the Smart Socket is a toy, yes I enjoy working out what things use, but I would not rely on it to turn things on or off. At £26.59 not cheap but still a toy.

Horses for courses.

At 6am, I come down carrying the kid, I say Alexa Good Morning, lights turn on to a nice dimmed light, the kettle kicks into life, the oil radiator has already been on 30 mins and will turn off in 30 mins.
I would like to control my old dehumidifier which seems to only have 2 settings hum all night or not at all/
I am also interested in controlling lights, lamps, xmas lights, Phone chargers etc. I bought a Hive plug in a one of sale and it's great, however as you have said, at full price these aren't worth it

All thanks for the advice on the plugs

I had a problem, the council installed extruder alarms for my mother with dementia. The actually sounder and reset button is upstairs so we will hear it at night, but should some one come to the door when set, it would mean going upstairs to silence it.

I tried two methods, one a simple timer so switched of when carers due and one a remote controlled socket from Lidi, however often we would find we had pressed the button but the remote had not switched on again and could not use both if timer first when it switched on the remote would not be on, and reverse if remote first then time would be out on the time switch.

At the same time I also had a problem with central heating, the morning sun made living room far too hot, the TRV just did not seem to move quick enough to stop room over heating.

So I could use the same hub with energenie for the TRV heads and the remote control socket with timer built it, the socket only has three built in times, I would have liked four, but could use IFTTT to get extra if I really wanted to, it will work with three remote controls and the phone an PC, in the main we use the remote controls, one by each outside door and one in my bedroom, if we forget or don't press button long enough when the next time comes up it will switch on anyway, and carers can turn it off if they come early so the combined timer and remote works well, very rare ever use the phone.

Since system already running I added a light switch for my room. Odd thing with the sockets using phone or PC it does not report if on or off, however with light with phone it does show on or off but not with PC.

Because it does not report on or off I got the plug in unit, which also monitors what is used, however when it arrived I found it only works with phone or PC it does not work with the remote control, so it was not really fit for what I wanted, however kept it as I say more of a toy than really useful. Yes I can see if battery is charged without going to garage, but do I really need to know?

The two TRV heads were also not quite as good as I thought, yes they do a really good job controlling the temperature full marks for that, but thought I could set them to auto switch on when my phone GPS detected I was 25 miles from home, well you can, but if set to 20°C and was at 16°C I found looking at 4 hours to heat up, so what I have to do is set to 24°C then back down to 20°C two hours latter because the anti-hysteresis in both the wall thermostat and the TRV heads so it heating up quickly. So I could have used much cheaper TRV heads if not using the phone to set them. Whole idea is automatic, having to actually get the phone out to change it rather defeats the whole idea.

So in hind sight and hind sight is easy, I could have used the Pegler i30 and saved some money, assuming the i30 like the energenie uses two sensors one for water and one for air so air temperature is compensated when the radiator is hot, so when the PC shows 20°C the room is 20°C not just close to the radiator.

Again hind sight maybe the Lightwave would have been better? From what I read not the lightwave sockets have four timers not three, however maybe lightwave fails on something else.

To my mind the problem is you need a leap of faith when buying, until the software was installed I didn't know only three timers. Maybe Lightwave will not allow you three remote controls, it could allow 10 it is so hard to gleam information as to what they will do.

Energenie will work with Nest and Nest will work with boilers using OpenTherm where as Hive has no modulating capability, it took me ages to find that out, I thought Nest and Hive were nearly the same, but clearly not. Nest also has volt free contacts even when running domestic hot water, Hive does not.

I looked at EvoHome with central heating wise seemed the best, but could not find any way to get it to work with fan assisted radiators, looked at Wiser which seemed cheaper than EvoHome but it does not seem to control the boiler in the way EvoHome does, but main word is "seem" you read the spec and it says so little.

The problem is you don't want a bank of hubs, you want to select a system that will do all you want with one hub, I know IFTTT allows one system to talk to another, but IFTTT needs internet, so if internet fails all your automation also fails even when your sitting at home.

Using the internet to control toys is OK, but to control essentials not so sure, I got a camera before moving in with mother to see if she was OK. I would get a call from monitoring station telling me an alarm had gone off, if I could see mother wheeling around the living room I knew she was OK, saved me a 15 mile run in middle of night, however so many times when I went to look it would say no camera feed. So still had to get dressed and drive to see her. OK it worked enough times to pay for its self but internet is just not reliable enough to use for essential services, at least in Wales.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back