13 Amp plug fuse

Reynardine said:
I am thinking of replacing my 13 Amp fuses with 10 Amp fuses for these appliances. Am I right ?

Yes you are right to replace the 13 amp fuse with a lower amperage fuse.

If it isn't a 3 Kw load take the fuse out and replace it with the correct value.

I say that plugs should be sold without fuses fitted and the customer should be required to buy the right fuse for the appliance being connected by the plug.

Sponsored Links
The original specification was for only two fuse sizes, 3A and 13A. The objective of only having two was to avoid just the sort of difficulty thrown up by this thread!

If the appliances came fitted with 13A fuses then that is sufficient to protect the cable to the appliance and that is all it is intended to do.

Are there any appliances with cable/flex that is so small that it can't carry more than 13 Amps for the time it takes to blow a fuse?

Sponsored Links
probably not any more. but i've seen 13 amp fuses on christmas tree lights with very thin flex.

no wonder they all cause fires at crimbo...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back