Killer plug ( moulded 13 Amp )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced a double socket that was killed by the moulded 13 Amp plug of a two kilowatt heater.
burnt socket.jpg

The material of the plug around the fuse was melted and smoking. The smell of burning alerted the shop staff.

Sponsored Links
I take it it was definitely the plug to blame, not the socket - based on the more extreme melting of the plug.

There was a fairly recent thread on a similar wattage heater burning out sockets.

Have you got a picture of the plug?

I see the lefthand side of the socket has a small crack too, which suggests heat damage.

I think I can see LAP embossed on the back of the socket.

Moulded plugs often seem to be badly fitted, a good idea that sometimes proves to be a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
I take it it was definitely the plug to blame, not the socket -

Definitely the fuse in the plug. Opening up the socket shows no sign of heat damage to the contacts of the receptacles. There are some yellow deposits around the live receptacle which is probably a result smoke ingress.

upload_2022-5-2_12-21-34.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back