13 amp plug overheating

I would not call it 'inevitable', but I am always wary on the rare occasions I do plug in appliances which draw a higher current, via a 13amp plug and socket, for an extended period of time.
Me, too - but, as I asked, "how long does it take to dry a dog?"

Sponsored Links
My gut is saying that the dog groomer has had the water heater reheating while drying dog at full pelt so more likely in excess of 13A and possibly in excess of 16A.

Now they've been instructed to not have water heater and hair dryer both on simultaneously... the problem might reduce?

Bit surprised no one has mentioned exporting the earth, so far. (ooops :evil: )

My gut is saying that the dog groomer has had the water heater reheating while drying dog at full pelt so more likely in excess of 13A and possibly in excess of 16A. .... Now they've been instructed to not have water heater and hair dryer both on simultaneously... the problem might reduce?
Possibly, but (perhaps I misunderstood?) I thought the OP was implying the the problem was arising despite ...
... I made sure that she has these switched off whilst using the drier to reduce any excess current draw.

Bit surprised no one has mentioned exporting the earth, so far. (ooops :evil: )
Maybe everyone is trying to keep 'on-topic' :)

Sponsored Links
To be fair that sounds like the wrong core size extension is being used... the longer the run the larger the voltage drop and hence the more amps drawn to power the device.

To be fair that sounds like the wrong core size extension is being used... the longer the run the larger the voltage drop and hence the more amps drawn to power the device.
That may be true (although I doubt that either the dryer or water would care much about even large voltage drops), but, in any event, would obviously not, in itself, explain why the the plug is getting hot.

Actually, for most appliances - no!
Indeed. I didn't read carefully enough what I was replying to in my last messages (I just read the mention of voltage drop and did not nortice the suggestion that it would increase current!).

As you say, what was suggested is not true for 'most appliances'. In context, I feel sure that a long cable run (hence possibly high voltage drop) would result in a reduction of current drawn by either a dryer or water heater - hence an even better reason why it couldn't explain plug getting hot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back