13 amp fuses

Sponsored Links
Bigburn said:
I guess Im fortuanate enough now to work on sites where the normal rules dont strictly apply.
Fortunate?? Are you for real?
When you read these forums it gives you an idea of some of the constraints people have to work under.
I think some of the safety measures on large sites is way over the top anyway. On one site near me a guy was crushed in a trench and the site closed for a year.
I bet his family didn't think this way. Did he survive?
When I started after the year was up they made me wear a safety harness just to go up a 6' stepladder to gain access to a normal sized ceiling. On coming back down I tripped on the harness and pulled my back. If I had got hold of the safety officer at that point and I had been fit enough I would have wrapped the harness around his neck.
How did you manage to trip on your harness if you were wearing it? Did you have the rope dragging along the ground or something? Did the harness have a shock absorber? Was there a secure point to attach the harness? Was there a rescue plan in place?
As I said I have just got the tools (bar the welder) changed over to 110V so hopefully I wont have to revert back to 240.
I have not seen a 110v welder, most are 240v or 415v. There are welder generator sets though.

Spark 123 wrote

Fortunate?? Are you for real?

You bet. Safety officials cannot police the sites I work on and thats the way I like it.

Did he survive?

No.

How did you manage to trip on your harness if you were wearing it?

Coming back down the step ladder. The safety rope which was about 4m long was rolled up and slung over my shoulder and a loop of this rope fell of while I was coming down and I didnt see this happening quick enough and tripped me up causing me to twist my back as I fell to the ground.
I was three steps up on the step ladder ( less than a meter or so)which gave me access to the suspended above ceiling where I was carrying out my work .

Did you have the rope dragging along the ground or something?

See above.

Did the harness have a shock absorber?

Yep

Was there a secure point to attach the harness?

Nope. I was working under a suspended ceiling.

Was there a rescue plan in place?

Not that I was aware off . :(
As I said , if I had got hold of the safety official who supplied the harness and made me wear it to go up three steps on a small step ladder and I had been fit I would have wrapped it around his neck and throttled him with it.
We walked off the site a few days later as we didnt need the hassle and had more than enough work on our hands else where anyway. :D

Er...what should you have done with that coiled-up rope?

Safety equipment does not cause accidents when used correctly.

Sponsored Links
I think you're a bit of a tosser as far as work is concerned and I wouldn't trust you with a Bob the Builder playtools kit.

Nobody deserves harm but if you don't change your ways you could end up with a nasty injury or worse.

Think about it!!!

Securespark wrote

Er...what should you have done with that coiled-up rope?

The harness was not fit for purpose and was designed for roof top operations only where the operator has to work near the edge and a steel cable is attached around the perimeter for the anchorage .
Their is also no legislation stipulating a safety harness must be worn when ascending a few steps on a step ladder to gain access to a ceiling a few meters high.
I take chances thats for sure but I try not to endanger anyone else.
I would never make anyone wear a safety device which was not designed for a particular purpose .

ricicle wrote

I
think you're a bit of a t****r as far as work is concerned and I wouldn't trust you with a Bob the Builder playtools kit.

You should see some of the machinery and equipment I am entrusted with. :D

Bigburn is having a laugh. His first question was about Part P. For a bloke who openly disregards safety and common sense, why would he ask if Part P covers replacing a fuse on an extension cable?

Haha

Bigburn said:
I take chances thats for sure but I try not to endanger anyone else.

Try? By doing all those things you have described to us?

HSW impresses the need for every worker to work safely with due regard for anybody else, be it customers, employers, members of the public, whoever.

You do not. What will it take for you to change your ways? An injury or death caused by your negligence?

Just because you've got away with it so far, it does not mean your methods of work are safe or acceptable, just that you've been very lucky.

Don't stretch it.

kevnurse said:
Bigburn is having a laugh. His first question was about Part P. For a bloke who openly disregards safety and common sense, why would he ask if Part P covers replacing a fuse on an extension cable?

Haha

No laugh. :eek:
I asked about part P genuinely as I didnt know if 13 amp fuses in plugs were affected by it or not.
Obviously if replacement of 13 amp fuses came under the legislation of Part P then I would comply and let those competant to change them ,do so.
(NOT)
I think its liberating to disregard safety (well up to a point anyway) as long as you dont endanger anyone else.
I know the 240V thing is dangerous espeially on building sites in adverse weather conditions but the devil hates a coward so I just plough on not thinking.
What I like about the 240V is you dont have to lug around a cumbersome transformer.
Have any of you ever tried carrying a large extension lead, drill or large angle grinder and a transformer. Yeah ,its awkard aint it and means 2 trips to the van for most.
Whereas if you just take the drill and lead ,then no problems and saves the extra trip to the van.

Securespark wrote

Don't stretch it.

Yeah well , productivity is good at the moment and if I can get a couple of more years like the past few then I can take early retirement. :)

I'd rather make two trips to the van, and drive my self home at night, rather that make one trip and get a lift home from an undertaker.

You are a blatant danger, not that you care, and I don't know you, but I just hope when your stupidity does finally get the better of you, you do not kill anyone else.

You truly are a Cupid Stunt.

Bigburn wrote

Does anyone know if Part P covers changing fuses in 13 amp 3 pin plugs on extension cables. ??
The 13 amp fuse was continually blowing when I was using the welder so I just cut a small length of 6mm copper capillary pipe and placed that in the plug .

Maybe Part P doesn't cover fuse changing & using portable equipment (especially 230V drills) but PUWER98 does

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg291.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back