16 amp air compressor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is in the right place.
Seen an Air Compressor which states it is 16 amp,my garage at the end of the garden is 13 amp,is there any issues with just plugging in and using,or is it just not suitable for home use.
seen 16 amp extension to 13 amp plug,so i am totally confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks Terry

p.s A friend i asked said they use a 16 amp mig welder and plugs it straight to 13 amp(professional garage)

Sponsored Links
A 16 amp compressor is likely to take well over 16 amp on start and most compressors of that size will be three phase so careful reading of plate is required and very likely you would need a new supply.

Welding sets will only take the maximum when turned to highest setting and it is very likely that a 16 amp model would run on 13 amp. There were marketed at that size because before the 17th edition came out they were the smallest welder allowed to be used on 230 volt on a construction site. Rules have now changed but it did result in that being most popular size.

It depends if it actually needs 16A, or just has a 16A plug for other reasons. Generally for 16A you use a ceeform plug (e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GW240slash16slash3P.html) - when connected, these are rated to IP44, whereas a 13A plug is (if I remember correctly) only IP20, hence ceeforms get used in more 'industrial' environments.

Ultimately the worst that should happen if you use a 13A to 16A adapter is the 13A fuse will blow if it does draw more, but obviously you don't want to buy something only to find you can't use it. Basically you need to find the power rating of the compressor, if it's over 3kW then you won't be able to run it off a 13A socket (at least not for very long anyway!)

Sponsored Links
I've used a very similarly (if not identically) rated compressor at a theatre where I often help out, and that has a 13A plug on and has no issues, so I think you'll be fine (usual disclaimers apply though obviously!). You can probaly just either swap the plug, or get an adapter...

I mean a 13A plug to a 16A socket. I suspect you can buy them pre-made, alternatively, just get a 13A plug, short length of cable rated to 13A, and a 16A socket (you can get cable mounting ones)...

You could also mount a socket on the wall somewhere, and run it off a fused spur if you didn't want to have an extra plug floating around...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back