13 amp fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if Part P covers changing fuses in 13 amp 3 pin plugs on extension cables. ??
The 13 amp fuse was continually blowing when I was using the welder so I just cut a small length of 6mm copper capillary pipe and placed that in the plug .

Sponsored Links
This is a joke right?

No Part P doesn't apply to replacing fuses. but what you have done is utterly ridiculous and down-right dangerous.

You are clearly overloading the extension lead and the fuse you have just bypassed was the only thing protecting the cable. In short: DON'T use that welder with that extension lead and replace the 13A fuse ASAP.

Sponsored Links
but a second plug to nick a pin out of is far more expensive than a bit of foil to wrap the fuse in.

plugwash said:
but a second plug to nick a pin out of is far more expensive than a bit of foil to wrap the fuse in.

No, most welders have a box of plugs where one side is all burnt and charred leaving a nice neutral pin free to relocate to a new plug.

No,its no joke and I know its dangerous.
I wanted to bridge the fuse terminals with some 15 amp fuse wire which is what I normally do with my site welder extension leads but just used the copper pipe as it was at hand and let me finish the job I was doing..

I used to have a home made extension reel made from some box iron and 110mm waste pipe which I made myself and worked well until the live came loose and another workmate who got a bit of a tingle from it decided he would play a trick on me and asked me to hand it to him one day and I was nearly eloctrocuted.
Well I blanked out for a moment as I was nearing the end of what my work mates on site at the time described as the most fearsome yell they had ever heard and my arm and body arced upwards until the extension reel luckily fell from my super human grip .So I guess you could call that being nearly eloctrocuted.
Forgot to add as I fell backwards I was impaled on concrete reinforcing bars which luckily prevented me from falling another 10 feet into a pit below.
Thanks for the replys anyway. :D

Bigburn said:
I know its dangerous.

So why do you still do it?

You seem to have no idea of how dangerous electricity actually is.

Get yourself a properly rated extention for your welder. Stop bodging. A new lead is cheaper than a funeral.

I know that driving with my eyes shut is dangerous, so I don't do it.

I wanted to bridge the fuse terminals with some 15 amp fuse wire which is what I normally do with my site welder extension leads but just used the copper pipe as it was at hand and let me finish the job I was doing..

Spend a bit of money and buy some ready made leads or if you must make your own use the right connectors.

http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/media/uploads/223d872e200de5792fdd6f064ed9ba53.pdf

I used to have a home made extension reel made from some box iron and 110mm waste pipe which I made myself and worked well until the live came loose and another workmate who got a bit of a tingle from it

lucky for you it wasn't a fatal tingle.

decided he would play a trick on me and asked me to hand it to him one day and I was nearly eloctrocuted.

I would find some more sensible work mates

Well I blanked out for a moment as I was nearing the end of what my work mates on site at the time described as the most fearsome yell they had ever heard and my arm and body arced upwards until the extension reel luckily fell from my super human grip .So I guess you could call that being nearly eloctrocuted.

More like nearly being killed. That sort of shock does other harm, torn ligaments and permanently damaged nerves to name but two.

Thanks for that link Bernard . Very helpful.
Well in truth I was nearly killed. Believe it or not the guy we were working for at the time had his daughter home on holiday who was a newly qualified doctor and she gave me the once over. (quite good looking to)
Apart from a few holes in my jeans and shirt where the reinforcing bars pierced up through and a few nasty bruises I was OK.

bernardgreen said:
You fool, :evil: letting that out of the bag...... :rolleyes: they will all be doing that now.......

You fool, you quoted me and left it there :evil: :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

Bigburn said:

Your boss should instantly dissmiss you for gross misconduct...Not to mention breach of HSW.

I shall leave out the expletives.

Bigburn said:

I used to have a home made extension reel made from some box iron and 110mm waste pipe which I made myself and worked well until the live came loose and another workmate who got a bit of a tingle from it decided he would play a trick on me and asked me to hand it to him one day and I was nearly eloctrocuted.
Forgot to add as I fell backwards I was impaled on concrete reinforcing bars which luckily prevented me from falling another 10 feet into a pit below.
Idiot.

So you were nearly killed because of your own stupidity. Serves you right. Next time maybe you wont be so lucky and there'll be one less idiot in the world. The worrying and downright scary thing is that you HAVEN'T learnt your lesson. You're a danger to yourself, and others around you. And I entirely agree with what securespark said.

Use 20 amp plugs and leads. This is what they are designed for. And if a 20A supply aint available, Get a less power-hungry welder!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back