C5/C6 connectors and fusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I buy a C5 cable with a 13 amp plug on it (or when one is supplied with something) why does it have a 5 amp fuse in the plug when the C5 is only rated at 2.5 amp?

Should I change them all and end up with a big tin of 5 amp fuses?

Sponsored Links
I suppose it could be due to the fact that the cable is capable of carrying in excess of 2.5A for a short period of time. A 3A fuse may be considered unnecessary. I suppose the answer would be to fuse the plug as specified in the manufacturer's instructions.

Oh. That means that I have to read the instructions. :(

They're all for laptops - where the most powerful PSU I've got is 90W. It's labelled as "100-240V ~ 1.5A 50-60 Hz". So a 3 amp fuse will be more than enough, I just wondered if anybody knew why something that the IEC standard is supposed to be 2.5 amps came with a 5 amp fuse.

Seems daft to me.

Sponsored Links
That must be it. A quick Google would suggest that the inrush on these is 20A at 230V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back