Chinese appliance/plug for use in UK

Yes, i'm sure it's just a plug.

Unless you do some tests you cannot be sure of that. There may be a current limiting capacitor mouded into the plug. With a 4 watt load that would be low cost way to control the power.

It could look exactly the same as a normal plug as a cost cutting manufacturer would be able to use the same mould for both plugs with capacitor and normal plugs wihout capacitor.

What would you suggest then? Would it be better to just chop the Chinese plug off and wire up to a UK plug with a 3amp fuse or plug the Chinese plug into my travel adapter which has a 3amp fuse in?

I have virtually no experience with a Chinese appliance or electrics but I'm slightly confused which way to go now?

Sponsored Links
@ban-all-sheds - Its a small dry cabinet for cameras to stop any humidity getting on expensive camera bodies and lenses. Stop's the glass getting fungus on them.

They don't sell them in the UK so thats why I had to get one from China where loads of people use them.
Possible because large parts of China are much more humid than here, and here they are not needed, just making sure they are ventilated and dry is enough?

I assume it has a humidistat to stop it getting too dry inside?

Sponsored Links
Unless you do some tests you cannot be sure of that. There may be a current limiting capacitor mouded into the plug. With a 4 watt load that would be low cost way to control the power. ... It could look exactly the same as a normal plug ...
What would you suggest then? Would it be better to just chop the Chinese plug off and wire up to a UK plug with a 3amp fuse or plug the Chinese plug into my travel adapter which has a 3amp fuse in?
If you wanted to address Bernard's theoretical concern, definitely the latter. If, by any chance (admittedly unlikely) there is 'something in' that plug beyond what would exist in a basic plu, cutting it off and replacing with any sort of plug (without that 'extra something') could be dangerous.

Kind Regards, John

Am I alone in wondering if this thing meets any standards for electrical safety?

exactly my thoughts
was this item bought from a reputable trader
or on price from a back street??
lots off very poor quality very dangerous stuff from china

Macca, could you post some pictures of this item? Does it have any marks indicating standards compliance or 3rd-party approvals?

Presumably it doesn't have CE marking or a declaration of conformity, since it's clearly not intended for sale within the EU, or it would have a different plug.

Even if it does have CE mark on it doesn't mean what you think. Some of these imported products have CE but it actually means China Export. I think this was done (in my opinion) to purposely confuse folks into thinking it was certified.

Example of the difference between the two CE marks:

Even if it does have CE mark on it doesn't mean what you think. Some of these imported products have CE but it actually means China Export. I think this was done (in my opinion) to purposely confuse folks into thinking it was certified.

No, that's not correct. That's just the early form of the CE mark, which some companies still use.
There is no recognized "China Export" mark. That doesn't mean that the CE mark (correct format or not) isn't often fraudulently applied by cowboy companies both in and out of China.

This is a myth. It's an improperly drawn symbol, that doesn't mean it's a 'China Export' mark.

I stand corrected on this then :oops: . Its a well travelled myth that has made its way around and I had seen in the past a few consumer groups, organisations also prompting caution over the logo's use for imported products.

But I guess even if a product sold from such places does have any logo/declaration doesn't mean its true/valid. So always take caution with such device. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back