Chinese appliance/plug for use in UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a small electrical drying cabinet which has a chinese 3 pin plug (slanted contacts) the details on the plug are N20617 10A 250V. The instruction manual says that its power consumption is 4W. The unit would be running all day so want to make sure I am safe to do the below.

I am wanting to take the chinese plug socket off (its moulded plastic so will have to cut off) and replace with a UK plug. I am wanting to know if this is ok/safe to use and also should I put a 10 amp fuse in the UK plug? I have a travel adapter to use for the moment but I know that they are only supposed to be for temp use.

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Sponsored Links
4W is next to nothing so your adaptor probably won't suffer any ill fate. You can cut it off and replace it with a UK plug but don't know what colour wires will be in there.
A 3A fuse is ample, happy for around 700W
However saying it is safe to use something that isn't built for UK use is another matter.

10amp is the rating for the PLUG, not the appliance.

The appliance is rated at 4watt so a 3amp fuse is plenty.

Curses, too slow!!!!

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it.

I am trying to get my head around this as I haven't had an appliance with a Chinese plug on before!!

If I do use the adapter that I have, this has got a 13amp fuse in. If I change this for a 3amp fuse then is that the way to go as the Chinese plug I would be putting into the adapter is 10amp? I am just thinking about it before cutting off the Chinese plug entirely.

Sorry again if I am being stupid with the questions!

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the 10A on the plug as it is the maximum that it can carry. In reality a 4W appliance only pulls around 0.017A.
That is why a 3A fuse was recommended above - it is the smallest commonly available plug top fuse.

Thanks Spark123, I will just change the fuse to a 3amp in the adapter rather than cutting and replacing the plug. Seem's its the easiest way to go from your suggestions.

Thanks again

@ban-all-sheds - Its a small dry cabinet for cameras to stop any humidity getting on expensive camera bodies and lenses. Stop's the glass getting fungus on them.

They don't sell them in the UK so thats why I had to get one from China where loads of people use them.

@JohnW2 - Don't understand your comment about the plug??
Some plug-like things are actually power supplies providing extra-low voltage output to whatever they are powering - things like mobile phone chargers are examples, but some are appreciably smaller than that and have been known to be mistaken for plugs. Do I take it that you're sure that what you've got is 'just a plug? (there would probably be a fair bit of writing on it if it weren't).

Kind Regards, John

Hi John,

Yes, i'm sure it's just a plug.

Think the best solution for me would be to follow Spark123 advice and put a 3amp fuse in my adapter and the chinese plug into it.

Thanks

Darren

Hi John, Yes, i'm sure it's just a plug. Think the best solution for me would be to follow Spark123 advice and put a 3amp fuse in my adapter and the chinese plug into it.
In that case, that's probably a very reasonable course. In fact, assuming it really is 4W (about 0.02A), if you could find a 1A fuse (they do exist), that would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, i'm sure it's just a plug.

Unless you do some tests you cannot be sure of that. There may be a current limiting capacitor mouded into the plug. With a 4 watt load that would be low cost way to control the power.

It could look exactly the same as a normal plug as a cost cutting manufacturer would be able to use the same mould for both plugs with capacitor and normal plugs wihout capacitor.

@ban-all-sheds - Its a small dry cabinet for cameras to stop any humidity getting on expensive camera bodies and lenses. Stop's the glass getting fungus on them.

They don't sell them in the UK so thats why I had to get one from China where loads of people use them.

Have you considered just using a box with a dessicant in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back