Europlug options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got what will hopefully be a simple question and would like some advice please.

I have an electrice coolbox which I can use in the car with the 12v lead it came with. It also came with an ac/dc converter which has a socket for the 12v car lead and a europlug on the other end. I would like to use this with standard UK sockets

I've had a read through these 2 old threads :-
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81534&start=60
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176362&start=30

I understand my primary 2 options for using the converter are (1) rewire with a UK plug and (2) use a converter plug. Although I will occasionally use the coolbox in Europe, I am more than happy to just fit a UK plug and use normal UK to Euro travel adapters when occasionally abroad as I feel "safer" with UK plug than using too many adapters etc

However, in each of the 2 options above, what I would like is some advice (back up) on is what amp I should be using/looking for (in the UK plug or the converter plug).

The ac/dc converter itself has input 220-240VAC 50/60HZ 1A and Output DC12V 5.8A. The europlug on it says 2.5A 250V~ which I understand is standard. The cable says 2x0.75mm2 which from one of the linked threads I take to mean should have a 6 amp maximum fuse. I understood the coolbox draws between 3.5A and 5.5A.

So when rewiring to a UK plug or using a converter plug, am I ok to be looking at 3amp as that is more than the europlug is currently - or does the 5.8A output of the ac/dc converter in any way come into it (and therefore I would need a bigger fuse in the UK plug/converter).

Also I presume that I should expect just 2 wires in the cable if I chop it and I would wire these up to a UK plug as normal neutral/live and there will be no earth?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Use a 13A plug fitted with a 3A fuse.

The 5.8A rating is the secondary current and is irrevelant

Thanks a lot Adam

I'll use a 3A plug as advised. Is my understanding about the 2 wires and no earth correct?

Yes, you'll have live and neutral in there.

Just to check though, you are cutting the cable on the supply side of the power supply unit arn't you? (thus keeping it in circuit)... your post does read that way but pays to check :D

Sponsored Links
Yes. On one side of the power "block" there is a short length of cable which has a socket that the 12v car lead (cigarette lighter plug) plugs in to. I am leaving that totally untouched.

Coming out of the other side of the power block is a longer length of cable which runs to a europlug. I was planning to cut the cable close to the europlug, strip the outer back slightly and then fit a UK plug.

Hopefully that sounds ok? but thanks for checking and keeping me alive :D

When choosing an appropriate fuse rating, can I assume then that it's only the input I've got to worry about and it doesn't matter if the output is a lot higher number of amps as here? (this is a question more for when using the various adapters/converters) -

In truth, I always try to avoid using anything other than UK plugs but in this case, most of the 12v mains converters you can find are max 5a and the higher rated ones (I've found another which is 5.8a with UK plug) don't look great quality. So I'm going to try and stick with the one supplied if I can

When choosing an appropriate fuse rating, can I assume then that it's only the input I've got to worry about
Actually it's only the cable you have to worry about.

The fuse is sized so that it protects the cable.

As you say, 0.75mm² conductors should be protected by a maximum of 6A fuse
and as long as it is rated at more than the current drawn (in this case 1A)
any fuse between 1A and 6A will be satisfactory.

Brilliant. Got it.

So in a nutshell, fuse choice needs to be as low as possible but still high enough to cover the current drawn (as indicated by the input on my power supply etc) and definitely no higher than the maximum supported by the cable.

Too low and it (the fuse) will keep blowing due to the current drawn (I presume). Too high and the cable won't be adequatly protected and may pose a risk. That all makes sense.

Thank you to you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back