Continuing tiling above bath...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have just bought a new-build house, and whilst there is a shower cubicle in the en suite, the main bathroom just has a bath, not ideal for guests. This is the current state:

The walls above the tiles are plasterboard and the builders have put breathable white emulsion on them (even though I asked them not to!).

I'd like to have the same tiles up to the ceiling and fit a shower screen/curtain so we can use this as the main shower for guests etc.

My questions are:

- Does the emulsion paint need to be sanded off first?
- Can the tile trip just be cut off, or do the top row of tiles need to come off?
- Do the walls need to be waterproofed/tanked before tiling?

Thanks,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
The paint will have to come off and it will need to be tanked which means the existing tiles will also need to come off.

Seen lots of tanked plasterboard fail, would prefer replacing with backer board but bigger job.
Is this a recent build or have you just changed you mind?

House was only finished May of this year, so you could say recent build. :)

We bought the house too late to be able to specify the over-bath shower, but was told it's not too big a job to add one after.

I'd rather not have to start replacing the plasterboard. Surely in a bathroom the builders would have used the green moisture resistant plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
House was only finished May of this year, so you could say recent build. :)

We bought the house too late to be able to specify the over-bath shower, but was told it's not too big a job to add one after.

I'd rather not have to start replacing the plasterboard. Surely in a bathroom the builders would have used the green moisture resistant plasterboard?
They may well have , but resistant does not mean water proof.

Whether it's moisture resistant or normal plasterboard it will need to be tanked and will fall to bits if the tiling leaked and the tanking failed.

If you damage the plasterboard while taking the tiles off you might be better replacing it with 12.5mm Marmox as this is waterproof and doesn't need to be tanked - only the joins need to be sealed. It will take heavier tiles and won't fall to bits like plasterboard would if water gets to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back