contracting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im thinking out contracting myself out doing servicing. i have an estate car and am wondering would that suffice? im only planning on doing servicing contract so i cant see it being a problem or is it?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately if my customers had someone turn up in a estate car, they would probably ask where you want the bale of straw.

They certainly wouldn't use my services again if I contracted out work like this.

I would only let someone do work for me if they turned up in a sign written van supplied by me.

VauxhallVivaro.jpg

You probably must have a van. Though here's a tip RG Francis never asked to see my van. Bg would expect to see it.

Anyway I recommend get a clean tidy Combo 2004 or so for less than 2g white.

Tax reasons it is much better to run a van a lot easier to prove you don't benefit in kind from it, so you don't get taxed on it.

But you can get a contract first then buy the van.

Or lease one but be aware there are mileage restrictions.

If you can afford a new deal the old style Berlingo is only 7k incl vat 1.4 petrol. New tax laws you can claim 80% of that price as tax releif in year one even if you are paying on hp. You still get tax releif on the interest.

Furthermore get vat registered. The companies you sub to are registered. Then you A/ get the van's vat cost fully back in year one but B/ look a much more professional outfit in all your dealings.

It doesn't put your prices up 15%, it only puts your added value up 15% and that only to private customers which you should keep to an absolute minimum anyway as all they do is come on here asking "our plumber says this what do you lot think? ungreatful so and so's!"

Sponsored Links
i worked for a company that done a lot of social housing work and the servicing had to be carried out by employees of the company (with works van), the installs were ok to be done by subbies or direct tho.

Cant see why using an estate car or any car for that matter would be a problem.
Why would the tenants bother what you turned up in .
The guy i work with has used various estate cars for 12 years with not a single comment.

It does not matter what tax advantages there is to having a van as you still have to spend additional money to buy etc etc.

Its not that long ago that BG engineers where expected to walk /use the bus if they did not own a car .
I used a motorbike for at least 3 years in my final year and few years afterwards as did several of us.

Sponsored Links
Back