Convector Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I live in a well insulated and warm house but since having my old radiators replaced by convector rads I have noticed the room temperature increases quickly when the c/heating is switched on (which is great) but then decreases within an hour of switching off the c/heating. My old rads would take longer to heat up but keep the house warm for hours afterwards. I have three large double rads downstairs and three single rads upstairs. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Most likely you new radiators are more efficient at transferring heat from the water inside to the air. If you had very old radiators then the mass of the radiator itself may have been large compared to your new ones and hence have taken longer to heat the radiator and longer to cool.

New rads, higher thermal transfer efficiency so you need to re-learn how to use your system to maintain your desired comfort factor.

I have noticed the room temperature increases quickly when the c/heating is switched on (which is great) but then decreases within an hour of switching off the c/heating.
Why did you replace the radiators?
How are you controlling the temperature inside the house?

Sponsored Links
The old rads were leaking and developing spots of rust. I've set the TRV's on the new rads to 3 on the downstair double rads and 5 on the single upstairs rads. I control the overall house temperature by the room stat.

Why do you want the upstairs rooms hotter than downstairs? It's normally the other way round.

This isn't the case. The single upstairs rads on 5 are, in fact far cooler than the double rads on 3 downstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back