Conventional flue with Oil condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate views on the following please

My father needs a new oil fired boiler to replace a very old one. The existing boiler is located centrally in the property, and is flued via what appears to be a stainless steel flue liner which routes up the original chimney. I would estimate this is 8-10m in length. This arrangement seems to have worked well for 20+ years.

He has had a number of estimates for boiler replacement with a new condensing model, most of which have recommended re siting the boiler to an adjacent outhouse, and using a short flue system which also acts as the air intake (sorry don't know tech term for this). The boiler is then 'room sealed'. This strikes me as a good option.

One quotation has suggested leaving new boiler in the existing location, and installing a new ss flue liner. My father is currently favouring this option as it means not having to use the outhouse. I'm concerned that this option will not be room sealed, and I wondered if current rules and regs allow for this type of installation?

I'd be grateful for views and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is allowable with correct supply of air for ventilation. You may find manufacturers offering open flue option, only do so with their own brand of flue components.

Sponsored Links
I had a Trianco Eurostar with a balanced vertical flue many years ago - 1990s. About 6m high I think. Can't remember if that was the maximum height.

Don't know if a condensing boiler arrangement will allow that or even if a similar configuration boiler flue is still available - retired now and not up to speed with current options!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back