Conversion Flourescent to LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time no ask, but I hope someone out there can help as always. Most grateful for any assistance.

At present I have several one foot fluorescent tubes under my wall units in the kitchen. These are fed electricity through normal twin & earth wires down the back wall behind and emanating from a simple junction box on top of the wall units, that in turn is controlled from a normal light switch.

Have had the kitchen units revamped and have purchased 5 metres strip white LEDs with an appropriate 12v 6amp adapter. 2.5 metres goes on the top surface of the units illuminating the coving and ceiling (looks great) and I wish to utilise the other 2.5metres underneath the units instead of the fluorescent lights. I have all the necessary connectors

My question, can I feed the 12v DC 6amp output to the junction box so that both the top and underneath "strips" light up. I know that this is possible if I had very "thin" wires connecting but will utilising the existing twin wires of the twin & earth 1.5mm to connect diminish the power to the underneath strips and prevent them working as it is so much thicker.

I cannot easily put in "thin" wires without having to dismantle the wall units and break through tiles, this isn't jut for one wall as I need to do exactly the same on the opposite wall.

As always thank you in advance for any help/suggestions, my house was renovated basically on all the help you have proffered in the past

Sponsored Links
Thicker is better!! You can, of course, use the old 1.5mm cable as the 6v feed to the LEDs.

Just make very sure that there is no 230v still present on that wiring!

Taylor many thanks, yes I am going to use the 1.5mm that goes to underneath of units at present to take 12v current to LED's strips there. There will be no 230 volt electricity present as the feed from the switch will go straight to the LED adapter input side and output 12v then to junction box.

For some reason I thought the thicker wire would put more resistance to the 12volt feed, long time (57yrs) since I did physics and V=IR calx

Sponsored Links
It's not changed since then - larger conductors have less resistance/m than smaller ones. ;)

That's why larger cables can carry more current than smaller ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back