Replacing garage light with flourescent tube

Thanks to everyone who helped me today. I managed to get it done and the light is working great in the garage. I think i have a mental block though because I still can't get my head around linking the live light to the neutral switch. It'll come to me one day! Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
markjj said:
Thanks to everyone who helped me today. I managed to get it done and the light is working great in the garage. I think i have a mental block though because I still can't get my head around linking the live light to the neutral switch. It'll come to me one day! Cheers all.
switch neutral is NOT NEUTRAL. it happens to be coloured blue, but note the brown tape - it is a live. Switched live.

Live goes to switch
Switched Live returns from switch.
The switch itself - it is a simple single contact with live one side and switched live the other side. This IS taught at school! :LOL:

Not at my school. Mind you it's been almost 25 years since I left and I could have doing something else on the day they taught electrics ;)

So, in the diagrams, does the red label on the black cable indicate a switched live? I think that was another thing throwing me.

Sponsored Links
markjj said:
So, in the diagrams, does the red label on the black cable indicate a switched live? I think that was another thing throwing me.
yes. The red tape is there to indicate that it is, in fact, a live cable, and the black coloring should be disregarded. For your house, replace colours as i told you above, as it has been wired in new colours.

However, in so many cases, the person doing the wiring is lazy and neglects to put the brown/red tape on the blue/black switch wire - leading to much confusion amongst DIYers when they come to replace light fittings, when they haven't noted what went where in the first place! This topic generates a lot of posts on this forum!!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back