Conversion From SELV To LV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took middle lad (who is my apprentice now I can no longer climb ladders) to look at one of Mum's recessed downlights that wasn't working.

Last time we came, he swapped a lamp, but that didn't work, so this time, I brought a new lamp holder. That didn't work either. We ran out of time, but I suspect the old steel-boxed toroidal transformer is goosed or maybe the output fuse blew.

There's a row of four and I'm thinking let's get shot and convert these fittings to LV and use LED GU10s.

I took a piccy of the fitting from below but forgot to get a piccy of the business side. These fittings, IIRC, are Thorn and have a terminal block attached to the body of the fitting. The lamp slots into a cradle.

IMG_20231014_194805.jpg

The idea I have is to use something like that in the link below. I want to make sure to use a double insulated item.

Can I trouble you for your suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
You know the rules as well as me, we know we should take an earth to every light fitting which is not suspended, however you are also aware of the dangers, and I would say yes convert to GU10, but tell your son it's temporary until you have more time. Unless you can pull the earth wires through.

Maybe I should have explained better. The fittings (rightly or wrongly) have been wired in T&E.

The cpcs have been snipped off, but there should be enough slack to join them together.

So I suppose I wanted to pick the collective brains here and ask if there is a better bit of kit for the job.

While I'm here, my Mum has some table lamps fed from a dimmer.

I'd like to replace the 60W GLS lamps (yes, she still has them!) with dimmable LEDs and the ordinary dimmer with a compatible one.

I have in the past used Aurora LED dimmers, but I have found the so-called dimmable lamps to be hit and miss. Some work with the Aurora dimmer but flicker or don't dim much at all.

Has anybody found a combination of dimmer and GLS lamp that work together reliably?

Sponsored Links
The idea I have is to use something like that in the link below.
You may as well just use that one in the link, as long as it's either 1 or 2 T&E at each light.
If there are 3 or more cables, something else will be required.

Zano dimmers will work with most of the dimmable GLS lamps. The main thing is not to change the wattage of the lamps significantly after installation.

Varilight is also an option but they have a significant switch on delay, which may not be ideal if people are not used to that. Pressing the dimmer multiple times when it doesn't switch on instantly results in it going into programming mode and problems follow.

Thanks both.

Do either of you have a favoured brand of LED lamp?

Aurora are good, but I find their prices a bit high.

I have in the main moved over to smart lamps. I was against them to start with, £9 for a bulb seems a lot, however they work, and I have had that many problems over the years even before LED with dimming switch failure, and shimmer effect on bulbs, not worth the effort to find out what works with what.

Odd one out is flat, I have a bulb and remote not linked to phone in any way, Lampandremote.jpgso visitors can use it without down loading to phone.

I like up to date the TP-Link stuff, but not found a local supplier, so have ended up with many makes, TCP it seems is not something which makes your cuts sting when mother applies it but a make of bulb, I like the idea of zigbee, but after the first batch from Lidi they seem to have stopped doing the range. I got a three GU10 lamp unit which came with a remote from Lidi, Lidi-remote.jpg but does not seem to have been repeated. The remote controls seem expensive, and although I can use phone that's a lot of messing around, voice commands with my Nest Mini's work well, but I like having a remote and the TP-Link seems the best option at the moment.

It was a temporary fix when my wife had knee done and dinning room turned into a bedroom, I used the TP-Link (Tapo) smart switch, does not need a neutral uses two AAA batteries, which can be renewed without removing switch, and I used their smart button, 1697449868630.png it is magnetic so stuck to side of bed, giving two way switching from bedside, once she was better, used the button as a door bell, it has both a press and turn function, with simple on/off switch I did not use turn function, but it seems with their smart bulbs you can turn the button to adjust lamp output, basic a remote dimming switch. Not got any TP-Link smart bulbs to try it with yet, but seems good idea.

As a door bell it produces a record of when bell pressed, so the I rung your bell and no answer is now met with no you didn't, but down side not water proof, but to date no problem with that front door sheltered enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back