conversion of 12v lamp to 240v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have a floor lamp that uses 12v g4 bulbs and is controlled by a dimmer/transformer switch. This switch has broken down and I am wondering if I can by pass this and convert the bulbs to 240v g4 types. Any help gratefully received.
Thanks John g :eek:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
For you to re-jig that, you may need to change all the lamp-holders so they can take something like G9 lamps(not sure that g9 and g4 holders are compatible? someone will!), but they need to be suitable to fit in the lamp and the lamp-holder will also need to be able to be secured to mounting/fitting, often more complicated than you'd expect. then remove the trany and then have a standard plug connection.
My also be earth connection to made, if the fitting is metallic?(which it looks).
Likely to be easier to replace the switch!

Thanks so much prentice boy looks like you are probably right about the switch. If I can get one :confused:

Just googled 'low voltage inline dimmer switch', see here-

Click Me

You'll need to check the wattage of one lamp then multiply it by however many lamps are in the floor lamp to give you a total wattage.

The lampholders won't accept mains voltage lamps for the very reason of avoiding a mix-up between LV and ELV equipment. By the time you factor in all the conversion costs, be cheaper and easier to buy a new light.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back