Convert 240v to 12v?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build myself a remote control inspection vehicle to run in the crawl space of my house and attic. I've looked online and to buy the prices are ridiculous and they don't always have all the features I want.

Tell me something, if I want to put devices on my vehicle that are designed to run on 240v, is there a way to (safely of course) convert them to run on 12v and without the need for bulky adapter/conversion devices?

For example, there's a £30 home security camera that would be idea to use on my home-built vehicle, camera is HD and pans horizontally and vertically. However it's 240v.

Can it be (relatively) easily done or more hassle than it's worth?

Sponsored Links
The thing would run on low voltage DC anyway - whatever devices you have in mind won't internally run on mains.
If you look at Arduino or Robotics or (Raspberry) Pi forums you'll find plenty of like minded people. Everything you need has been done, you'd just connect the dots.
You'd use wifi to connect to it (better than bluetooth but that would be an option), stepper motors probaby for drive. I considered making one low and narrow enough to get through the spaces in sleeper walls - nobody's done that afaik. Use a Pi and python, probably.
You'd want a narrower view than most security cameras, and a variety of lights.
Your first and probably most expensive part would be the chassis with wheels/tracks.

Last edited:
The thing would run on low voltage DC anyway - whatever devices you have in mind won't internally run on mains.
If you look at Arduino or Robotics or (Raspberry) Pi forums you'll find plenty of like minded people. Everything you need has been done, you'd just connect the dots.
You'd use wifi to connect to it (better than bluetooth but that would be an option), stepper motors probaby for drive. I considered making one low and narrow enough to get through the spaces in sleeper walls - nobody's done that afaik. Use a Pi and python, probably.
You'd want a narrower view than most security cameras, and a variety of lights.
Your first and probably most expensive part would be the chassis with wheels/tracks.
Many thanks for all the tips :)

Plenty of radio controlled toy cars with cameras for under £50

Sponsored Links
Find 12v version of the devices you want - they will/do exist.
btw, have you got a flat floor in your attic? if it's rafters then a r/c car will struggle, how would you overcome that?

I have one house with a loft with near a foot of mineral wool, which would pose a challenge :) as would my parents' old place full of vermiculite :ROFLMAO:.
There are plenty of tracked etc chassis designs out there which can manage surprising obstacles, but most cheap cars wouldn't. I'm sure there are many I haven't seen though.
For upstairs you would often be able to look under say a tiled floor by removing one board in an adjacent room and running between joists, but you can do that with a cheap endoscope and electricians' probes.
Ground floor suspended floors offer scope, where you have rough ground with manageable obstacles. You can add cheap IR and UV to find heat leaks, water leaks, rodent pee etc.
At vast expense I got on one of these sending me pictures to my phone (they were DOUBLE that price when I got mine..) . It's a processor, so you can use it to control motors and whatnot, unlike say a doorbell camera. You don't have to know anything, just copy other people; the stuff is out there.
It took about an hour's googling starting from total ignorance. Now, I'd start with a Pi pico, which gives more options.

Find 12v version of the devices you want - they will/do exist.
btw, have you got a flat floor in your attic? if it's rafters then a r/c car will struggle, how would you overcome that?
Valid point that I've been thinking about. I'll possibly go with tracks or if I do explore a 4 wheeled base it'll need to have largish wheels to deal with differing heights and obstacles in the loft. Tbh it's more for using in my crawl space which is more even.

People use things like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002070179895.html

You could do a bit of bomb disposal on the side...

Bit cheaper:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003724048275.html

or this one (see the vid)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002830332308.html
lol, made my day that comment :) Jokes aside the 1st one you link to might be ideal, or something similar, basically a chassis for all the gear to be attached to.

The 2nd and 3rd ones on Ali might be a solution, the only thing is I'll need to factor in the other gear I'll have on it i.e. HD camera (with tilt & pan), lights and the effect they'll have on stability etc.

Do you want to do this inspection often?
Why not offer a local youth a tenner+ to go under or above and take lots of photos of everything?

Do you want to do this inspection often?
Why not offer a local youth a tenner+ to go under or above and take lots of photos of everything?
I thought that sort of thing had been banned for a while! :D

childsweep2.jpg

I wasn't suggesting that young.
These days it's hard to get a kid to do things like - sort your sock drawer for 50p, now they want a fiver :)

Sponsored Links
Back