Converting 12V downlighters to 240V ones

10 Nov 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a lot of 12v downlighters in my house. I am thinking of converting to 240v ones because i get so many transformers that go pop. I have Emcalite fittings which say they are 12v. Do i need to replace these fittings and is there anything i should be mindful of if i change to 240v lights ?
Sponsored Links
You will need new fittings to convert to 240v.

Make sure you remove the transformers and the 'flex' you will need to use suitable cable such as 1.0mm Twin & Cpc.

You will need to take into consideration the 'void' into which these will site, does it contain insulation etc, if so then you will need to give consideration to voltage drop in the cable and fire protection for the downlighters.

There is a wide range of fittings available, look at this will give you some idea. Anything else post back and we will try to help
Why not just buy some better transformers?

Now you are used to 12V lights you will HATE the light given out by a GU10 lamp.

I've had some DLs in at home for 6 years and never even had a lamp fail, never mind a transformer.

It's true what they say. You really do get what you pay for.
Awww Rob you're ruining my campaign to get rid of trani lights cos people just don't want to pay top dollar for good ones :(

I love my GU10 lights :!: Especially the 12 hours notice from the misses before the decorator arrived :evil: :evil: :evil:

You been to see the comando socket in the ground yet?????
Sponsored Links
Not had chance yet mate.

Been working 75 hour weeks for the firm :eek:

Knowing the owner, I'm quite sure it'll still be there :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local