Replacing 12v with 240v downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I need to replace 7 x 12v downlights with 7 x 240v mains downlights. I know that the current set-up is OK because it was tested/approved by a Part P electrician as part of some recent building works.

I realise to some that this might sound like a silly question, but is what I'm planning to do potentially exceeding the permitted wattage of the circuit? Can I just remove the 12v transformers and connect the new downlights or will my new 240v downlights make a bigger demand on the circuit?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
[Neglecting transformer losses] at least one website seem to say that the higher voltage bulbs convert elec. to light more efficiently, higher luminous efficacy, and so for the same lux illumination values you'd pull less power.

is what I'm planning to do potentially exceeding the permitted wattage of the circuit?
It's all down to the wattage. 12V or 240V makes no difference.
6A circuit will be 1380W - including other lights on circuit, of course.

Can I just remove the 12v transformers and connect the new downlights
Yes.

or will my new 240v downlights make a bigger demand on the circuit?
Not if the wattage is the same.

[Neglecting transformer losses] at least one website seem to say that the higher voltage bulbs convert elec. to light more efficiently, higher luminous efficacy, and so for the same lux illumination values you'd pull less power.

That's not correct.

50W 12V lamps are brighter than 50W 230V lamps.

Sponsored Links
Which website is that?

That's not correct.

Then their efficacy must be greater so maybe the transformer losses with the 12v system more or less equalizes both options.

Can you post a link for this?
Is this perceived brightness or actual brightness? Although I guess it's the perceived brightness that counts.

AIUI, ELV lamps have thicker filaments, and run hotter, so the light tends to be "whiter" (perception) but also you do get more lm/w (actual).

That said, I'd not be surprised to learn that good LV ones outperform poor ELV ones.

That's not correct.

Then their efficacy must be greater so maybe the transformer losses with the 12v system more or less equalizes both options.

Can you post a link for this?
Is this perceived brightness or actual brightness? Although I guess it's the perceived brightness that counts.

Closest match I could find for comparison:

12V lamp

50 W 12 V 36° GU5.3 Luminous intensity 1450 cd

230V lamp

50 W 230 V 35° GU10 Luminous intensity 650 cd

I'll have to bookmark this - it's not even close and the OP is maybe rightly concerned.

1450 >enter BCP
36 >enter BA
446 =calc'd lumens
50 >enter watts
9 =calc'd lumens/watt efficacy

650 >enter BCP
35 >enter BA
189 =calc'd lumens
50 >enter watts
4 =calc'd lumens/watt efficacy

Not great efficacies.

ELV lamps can have shorter filaments which results in a smaller area of light production which enables better focusing into beams as in spotlights and similar fittings.

LV (230 volt) lamps have longer filaments and hence are not so easy to focus.

The efficiency of all lamps depends on what use they are designed for.

High efficient lamps tend to run white hot filaments, have short life times and are often intolerant of voltage variations.

Long life lamps are often warm white with filaments not run at white heat. they often have long life times and are very tolerant of voltage variations.

Mind you, it is all a bit like agonising over whether a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon has better or worse fuel economy than a Cadillac Escalade...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back