12v or 240v lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen that is 6M x 6M in dimensions. I plan to put 12 to 16 downlighters in.

Does anyone know of any web site that can help me decide/calculate what light wattage for each light would best suite?

Also, 12v halogen or 240v? Whichever is best, price wise/ quality/ etc?

For 12v how many transformers will I need?

and do i need downlight covers (the ceiling will have insulation in it).

(I will also be having under cabinet lights in as well).

Sponsored Links
BigHammo said:
Also, 12v halogen or 240v? Whichever is best, price wise/ quality/ etc?
A much debated issue, 12v gives a crisper light and IIRC more lumens per watt, but they have the issue of needing a transformer, which adds expense and can sometimes fail (much more of a problem with same makes than others)

For 12v how many transformers will I need?
Same number as the number of lights you have

and do i need downlight covers (the ceiling will have insulation in it).
You don't need them unless the ceiling is providing a fire barrier (as it might be if you live in a flat), with regards to the insulation issue, you could find out the clearance requirements, and construct a plasterboard box which will enable you to take the insulation over the light, but keepting it well out the way of it

i highly recomend using 12v low voltage, much more reliable than 240v, longer lamp life, better light output, expect to pay around £10 per fitting complete with transformer per light and lamp.

Sponsored Links
240V - Lamp may fail

12V - Lamp or transformer or both may fail.

I do prefer 12V myself. Also the diecast fittings are better quality and look nicer than the pressed steel ones (mains or LV)

BigHammo said:
I have a kitchen that is 6M x 6M in dimensions. I plan to put 12 to 16 downlighters in.

Does anyone know of any web site that can help me decide/calculate what light wattage for each light would best suite?

Thanks for all yhe help but does anyone know a website (or something) that can help me to calculate how many I need?

sorry to drag up an old topic but I have a question I wanted to ask and did a search first....

.... I have the same initial question but the decider is:

Do 12v use less electricity than 240v?

Cheers!

And also, what brands of transformers would you recommend as being reliable and cost-effective (cheap) :)

watts is watts, no matter what the voltage.

and you pay your money you take your chance.

(depends who you speak to, everyone has their own opinion)

I thought 12v used more power. I thought the bulb uses the same but there is also some lost in the transformer?

There definatley is a loss at the transformer, the bulb is rated at 50w 12V, or 50w 240v, so the bulbs use exactly the same amount of power but the transformer will use more.

In the end I went with 16 240v 50 w downighters, on the grounds that a mate said that there wasn't much difference in the quaility of todays GU10 and there halogen equivalent. I must say I agree with him.

I am pleased with the result I brought 50W and split them using a 4 way light switch. Personal choice.

Many thanks for all your comments.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back